Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
linrom1
Veteran

Art Sherman a joke after 40-50 years

By entering DORTMUND into Kilroe Mile on Turf has shown himself to be an embarrassment to the racing community. What a way to throw your 40-50 year racing career down the drain?

Bob Baffert must be beyond himself! What an idiot this trainer is? With Santa Anita Hcp coming in very weak, he enters DORTMUND in a Grade 1 Turf race to shake it up with CONQUEST ENFORCER?
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrom1 View Post
By entering DORTMUND into Kilroe Mile on Turf has shown himself to be an embarrassment to the racing community. What a way to throw your 40-50 year racing career down the drain?

Bob Baffert must be beyond himself! What an idiot this trainer is? With Santa Anita Hcp coming in very weak, he enters DORTMUND in a Grade 1 Turf race to shake it up with CONQUEST ENFORCER?
Wow man, you are going way, way, way too far.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

That's our linrom1!

He's like Tom is, in off-topic...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
ultracapper

I was hoping nobody would respond in this thread.

Nonsense.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrom1 View Post

I don't believe the entering of Dortmund in the Kilroe Mile tainted Sherman's reputation in the least as a trainer; and whether you like or dislike California Chrome I believe Sherman saved the horse's career.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Big Brown offspring have banked roughly $20 million in purse money, 40% of which was earned on the turf. Dort's dam has produced two turf winners out of five foals. Sherman preferred this race to a 7-furlong dirt prep given that distance can be tricky off a layoff.

Crap post.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
horses4courses

What a joke, alright

Yeah, it all came down to this race.
40 years down the drain for experimenting.

There is a joke in all of this, though.
It's the OP for coming up with such a garbage post.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #8
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Art had the courage to try something new with Dortmund on the turf...assuming he was 100% fit (which it appeared he was) then his performance would likely be a true gauge of how well he liked to run on turf...One of my buddies thought he would do well based on his sire Big Brown doing well on grass....For me, he was a toss on the turf..but who could know for sure...but I was very surprised how truly dismal his effort was though, and it seemed the further they went, the poorer he ran....SO if Dortmund is healthy, one might conclude that grass IS NOT HIS THING...I'll bet dollars to donuts he never races on turf again...and the experiment is over...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
dilanesp

Linrom would have hated Charlie Whittingham. Used to try everyone on the grass. Even ran Ack Ack, the best speed horse he ever had, on it. (Ack Ack won a minor stakes race on the turf.)
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #10
Fager Fan
Veteran

Did Dort work on the turf at any point? I've never understood running a horse on a surface without first training over it if possible. Why potentially throw away a race without knowing if your horse at least indicated in a work over the surface that he liked it?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #11
Si2see

The only thing that bothers me with these kinds of posts is that they are always after the fact.....

If you knew Dortmund wasn't going to run well before the fact you should/could have cleaned up in that race.

Jason
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #12
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Did Dort work on the turf at any point? I've never understood running a horse on a surface without first training over it if possible. Why potentially throw away a race without knowing if your horse at least indicated in a work over the surface that he liked it?
Santa Anita no longer opens the turf course up in the morning for workouts.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
NY Racing Fan

I thought he was bred fine for grass and could have been a strong presence in those middle distance grass races. I guess I was wrong. Don't see why Art Sherman needs to be criticized. Nothing wrong with trying, especially during this time of year.
NY Racing Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #14
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Santa Anita no longer opens the turf course up in the morning for workouts.
My understanding in general is that any track's turf courses are closed for workouts except for horses training for a stakes race. I'd love to be corrected if not true.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 07:36 PM   #15
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
My understanding in general is that any track's turf courses are closed for workouts except for horses training for a stakes race. I'd love to be corrected if not true.
Typically, yes, that's true, although at Belmont I believe one can gallop in the infield of the main track daily if they are brave enough (I'm not sure how well its maintained).

However in the case of Santa Anita, which would open for turf works a couple of days a week previously, turf works of any kind have not been permitted since the new turf course was installed.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply