Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 11:37 AM   #1
omar2

Cool “And the winner is……”

Check back Saturday between 11am-12 pm for my Derby selection and contenders. No pretenders Allowed!
omar2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2024, 04:00 PM   #2
omar2

Who are we? We are the discarded, the forgotten, the way under bet ( I hope).
We will show up on race day to bite you right in your bankroll. No I’m not the 6 horse, I could never go this far, nor am I the 8. Sorry, I ran too hard last time and just ran out of gas!
Finally a foreign shipper works out at CD. Hmmm…..

Last edited by omar2; 04-30-2024 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:17 PM   #3
omar2

I want you guys to watch 3 derbies on YouTube, just google them: 1985(Spend A Buck, 2000(Fusaichi Pegasus) broke the 20 year jinx of no derby winning favorites since (1979 Spectacular Bid) & 2008(Big Brown). Note the call times in these races and then go back and re-evaluate the way you’re looking at this race. Oh in 2000 the Japanese owners ran him in the Wood. Why did they ever get away from that and run off to Meydan?? Things were a lot different then but some things never change, like the run for the Roses.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:25 PM   #4
omar2

Just remember one thing, horses only run as fast as they have to. In the case of the #17 I feel if he has to run a little faster to hold off the closers then he will. I don’t think the post position will hurt him. I think he’ll break, clear the field and rate behind the early pace, the 2 sprinters and several other early horses, the 5-11-12-18 and maybe the 10. I hope the 2022 derby taught them shippers a lesson in pace handicapping.
And I hate when people say no horse ever won from a certain post position until they do like I’ll Have Another or Big Brown.
After checking the Thorograph numbers I have to respect the 8 horse on improving form. Ran a triple pattern of three 2’s. And staying with Thorograph #’s, only 2 horses sported 1’s in their form cycle: #2 (4-1) in last two , #11 in his last 2 races (1-1),a strong performance pattern. The 11 is 5/5 and last saw him at 8-1 and the 2 at 6-1. That being said the I think both the 2 and 17 are ready to improve off their last race. The 17 did a 4-neg 3.5 pattern in last two and the way he won geared down in last makes me think even if he regresses 3 points to a zero but so can the #2. Now that being said, the #3 has already run a (0). His pattern this year was a 9-0-3. He obviously bounced, but to a 3? I liked him in Arkansas derby, had a little trouble plus the form bounce and now I feel he can move forward off that race. Last saw him at 27-1. The #5 did a 9-3 in last two so I think he’s due for a regression. The #21 did a 3 in last but this will be his 12th start in 2 years (7&4). His pattern this year 8-9-7-3 and last year’s numbers were a lot higher. I think he plateaued already. The #4 did a 7-5-4 this year and the #7 did a 9-5. I don’t see any of these two getting down to a 1, maybe a 2 but I feel the winner will do a 0 or -1. The potential is there. So I feel there’s no more than 5 true contenders in this race. To get to the 8 or 3 several things may have to happen. The 2 who acted up in gate last time will have to wait for 18 other horses to load and then will have to get off the rail to get around horses without getting shut off, barring any pre race antics; the 17 not getting caught up in a speed duel should clear the field at the far turn and draw off. Sometimes that’s easier said than done. And the 11 has to live up to his billing. Even if one of the top 3 wins, the money has an always will be in the exotics. The payouts in the derby have always been excellent, to say the least. Other horses I like for the exotics besides the 8 & 3 but not for the roses would be the 4-5-7-14-16-18-19-20.

And the winner is the 17. I feel the horse won’t bounce, has something left in his tank after his last race and could run back to that neg 3.5 or neg 2. I’m looking at more than form. Looking at my pace program that I use I came to the conclusion that the 2 & 17 can both run a lot faster and can best the number they ran as 2 year olds. That’s what good 3 year olds do and they can stay at that level for months before regressing. Is it possible that my top 3 can run 1-2 or 1-2-3, absolutely but I hope not, I like big payouts. Who doesn’t ?.
One more point. Sometimes too much emphasis is placed on who ran the best in their final prep race. The derby winner doesn’t necessarily have to win their final prep race. Secretariat ran 4th in the Wood and came back to win the Triple Crown, setting track records in all three legs, and that’s why it wouldn’t be as big a stretch as you think if the 8 or 3 would upset the apple cart. Just look at some of the recent really good horses that did not win the derby: Point Given, Empire Maker, Curlin, Afleet Alex and Essential Quality. All champions as 3 year olds.
It’s not just horse racing, It’s The Derby!

Last edited by omar2; 05-03-2024 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:00 PM   #5
omar2

One more point I think I forgot to mention. The reason I switched back to the 8 was when I saw the triple 2 pattern on the horse and it was his first time around 2 turns. Also he bested his sprint pace number in his first route, albeit 1 turn and in the slop. If he goes off below his ml no win bet, but At 16-1 sure.
Derby or not, I’ll always cover my price horses with my figure horses in the exotics. I try not to leave money on the table.
Omar
Old 05-04-2024, 06:29 PM   #6
omar2

The way the track condition is (wet fast) reminds me of 2017, Always Dreaming. This year’s winner should be close to the pace. In addition to the 3 & 8 I would include the 5 as a live longshot too, unless you don’t consider 32-1 value.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:08 PM   #7
omar2

Should’ve listened to Omar.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:52 PM   #8
omar2

Maybe the sheet guys were right and the 17 bounced but I think he got hurt during the race to back up that much, but the 2&11 came in with my 3 and so I made money. When I saw the 11 walking to the paddock he reminded me of gate dancer with the hood. Gate Dancer’s was white, circa 1985 in the inaugural BC Classic, which I hit with Wild Again. U can google that race also.
Like I said earlier, I don’t leave money on the table.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:53 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar2 View Post
Should’ve listened to Omar.
I did...and made money again with your analysis...thank you

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...=182386&page=4
Old 05-04-2024, 08:19 PM   #10
CheckMark

Nice work PA and Omar!

Glad to see my friends cashing in on the Derby!

Old 05-04-2024, 08:23 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Omar strikes again!
Old 05-05-2024, 06:59 AM   #12
omar2

Oops, the BC race I was referring to was 1984 although Gate Dancer ran 2nd to Proud Truth in 1985 in the 2nd running. The one in 1984 resembled this years derby. In that race Gate Dancer was placed 3rd for bothering Slew O’ Gold.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1984...oEMCJdj1M,st:0

Last edited by omar2; 05-05-2024 at 07:08 AM.