Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-07-2023, 01:40 PM   #61
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
I grew up in the 50’s-60’s in a small Oklahoma town.

Divorce was a very uncommon occurrence.

Just wasn’t done.

I can’t think of any of my friends parents who split up. The Church probably had something to do with this. I know there was a joke about going to the big city to dance and drink.

People probably took their marriage vows more seriously back in the day.

I went to HS in the 70's, there was a group of about half dozen of us really into wrenching on cars, none of us came from money or had parents that made us earn our keep. Most of us were just keeping old junkers on the road.

Between us we had a complete set of automotive tools or the local auto parts store that rented them would lend them for free in exchange for our business. Not a one of us had our original dad in the house, all the product of divorces except one kid's dad died of a heart attack. None of us had taken auto shop, we bought manuals for our cars or asked the mom and pop auto parts store owner for knowledge.

I just Googled, that old friendly mom and pop auto parts store is gone. I hate chain auto parts stores staffed with know nothings.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2023, 06:43 PM   #62
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I just Googled, that old friendly mom and pop auto parts store is gone. I hate chain auto parts stores staffed with know nothings.
Gone also is the way we used to work on cars. Everything is computer coded. Shadetree mechanics went he way of dinosaurs.

Hey, do you know the YouTube guy Abom79?

Great channel & machine shop.

https://youtu.be/A3HS8CqJH9w?si=Fw6_0ucIPpGhZXdY

Took shop in High school. Mechanical drawing and Woodworking. Wanted to take automotive but it was sponsored by the local car dealerships and I guess I didn’t qualify.
When I retired to Mexico in the early 90’s I enrolled in San Diego community college and became a certified pipefitter.

I can gas weld with the best of ‘em. Pretty proud of that.

I’ve always respected those who work with their hands.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:03 AM   #63
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Gone also is the way we used to work on cars. Everything is computer coded. Shadetree mechanics went he way of dinosaurs.

Hey, do you know the YouTube guy Abom79?

Great channel & machine shop.

https://youtu.be/A3HS8CqJH9w?si=Fw6_0ucIPpGhZXdY

Took shop in High school. Mechanical drawing and Woodworking. Wanted to take automotive but it was sponsored by the local car dealerships and I guess I didn’t qualify.
When I retired to Mexico in the early 90’s I enrolled in San Diego community college and became a certified pipefitter.

I can gas weld with the best of ‘em. Pretty proud of that.

I’ve always respected those who work with their hands.

The few times I have went to You Tube for mechanical car stuff is only to see what tools I may need for a job on the ground as I don't get up and down so well. I have seen a lot of guys going about jobs the wrong way. I have not ran across Aborn 79. Cudos on the gas welding, that is too much like art to me and no matter how hard I tried I SUCK at it. I have a Lincoln Arc Welder which I used when I made my own products to weld spacers to mounting plates. Even then unless I am using a stick as big as my thumb I struggle. I crank the amps up more than recommended for the size rod I am using and make a big ass mess. The last big welding project I did was putting a framed cage around a double axle 14 x 6 utility trailer with square steel tubing. Thank God for my angle grinder, body filler and paint, I cleaned up my mess. The best way to describe my welding is projectile vomit.
Old 10-08-2023, 04:24 AM   #64
Inner Dirt

Yikes, still thinking about the Tina Turner look alike today, damn near 40 years later. I was an IDIOT!!! So what if her old man was dumb enough to fight me on company property and we both get fired. I am thinking she was very special as someone mentioned.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 10-08-2023 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-12-2023, 04:12 AM   #65
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Yikes, still thinking about the Tina Turner look alike today, damn near 40 years later. I was an IDIOT!!! So what if her old man was dumb enough to fight me on company property and we both get fired. I am thinking she was very special as someone mentioned.

lol, i actually thought i saw "mary" a couple times in the crowd at tonight's dodgers-diamondbacks game!

and it had to be absolute hell for the boss, since he's a big dodgers fan!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2023, 10:59 AM   #66
Inner Dirt

Damn cat has washed my desk with green tea twice this week already. I think I am going have to put a sign up on my monitor. He even took out a couple drawings I had written customer notes on with a sharpie, I had to call the customer back. The guy gets testy if I call him while he is busy for something we already discussed.