Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #31
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mertz View Post
I will continue to tip with cash regardless of what you two statists think.

I just filled out three checks to pay my property taxes; bought and paid for. Only thing is, you don't own it, you pay rent.
Just got notified that my real estate taxes are going down 900 bucks this year (20%) after a few changes at the state

I feel the same way you do. You can own it outright, but somebody has their handout, no matter what you do.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #32
thaskalos

Quote:

I also tip only in cash...and I let the tip-recipient decide for HIMSELF/HERSELF whether to report his/her tip-income or not. The way I see it...my money has already been taxed enough.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #33
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

I also tip only in cash...and I let the tip-recipient decide for HIMSELF/HERSELF whether to report his/her tip-income or not. The way I see it...my money has already been taxed enough.
I get frequent flyer miles by using my credit card. Sometimes I tip in cash if I have cash on me, but more frequently I find myself tipping using my credit card.

By the way... someone mentioned that people in Houston don't tend to be good tippers. I grew up in a small town in Appalachia near Youngstown, Ohio. I worked as a bus boy in high school and I delivered pizza for a local pizza shop and also Dominos. I rarely got tips. People didn't have much money. Then I moved to NYC. Tips were more generally expected and most people were pretty generous because they tended to have money.

I almost always tip -- even if it is just a tip jar on the counter of the deli, Chinese takeout, or donut shop.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #34
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:

I just filled out three checks to pay my property taxes; bought and paid for. Only thing is, you don't own it, you pay rent.
I get it as I have to do the same thing. Taxes suck. They are too high and there are too many of them. I am just wondering why so many people seem to want to give people who earn tips a pass on paying income taxes. As far as tipping goes, I agree that cash tips are good. In fact, when I travel to Mexico, tipping in cash is the only way that I know for certain that my server gets the tip, but I still think they should pay a tax on it.

Statist?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:55 PM   #35
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
I get it as I have to do the same thing. Taxes suck. They are too high and there are too many of them. I am just wondering why so many people seem to want to give people who earn tips a pass on paying income taxes. As far as tipping goes, I agree that cash tips are good. In fact, when I travel to Mexico, tipping in cash is the only way that I know for certain that my server gets the tip, but I still think they should pay a tax on it.

Statist?
Speaking for myself, I greatly appreciate it when I receive service above and beyond my expectations...so I tip liberally, and always in cash. As far as I am concerned, this money is a gift from me to someone who deserves it...and I think that "gift taxes" are terribly unfair. Having already paid taxes on the money that I have...when I give it away, I'd like it to be received by the recipient TAX-FREE.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:20 PM   #36
highnote

Quote:
Speaking for myself, I greatly appreciate it when I receive service above and beyond my expectations...so I tip liberally, and always in cash. As far as I am concerned, this money is a gift from me to someone who deserves it...and I think that "gift taxes" are terribly unfair. Having already paid taxes on the money that I have...when I give it away, I'd like it to be received by the recipient TAX-FREE.
I thought a person was allowed to give a gift of up to $10,000 tax free? Maybe that is only to family members?
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2017, 10:05 PM   #37
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Shockingly, the IRS does not agree with your assessment that tips are a gift.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...-and-reporting

It is good that you tip well.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:30 AM   #38
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
Shockingly, the IRS does not agree with your assessment that tips are a gift.
The IRS has their "assessments"...and I have mine. I'm not encouraging people to avoid reporting their tips to the IRS...I just refuse to "force" them to do so.