Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-06-2024, 12:24 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Kristi Noem killed a dog?

Trying to channel her best Mitt Romney and actually succeeding this time?

Old 05-06-2024, 12:29 PM   #2
Inner Dirt

I do not know about her state but here in Virginia it is legal to kill a dog that attacks a chicken.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2024, 02:16 PM   #3
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I do not know about her state but here in Virginia it is legal to kill a dog that attacks a chicken.
We aren't talking legalities here. We are talking appearances. i hope she makes a lot of money on her book because she now has political leprosy for killing a one year old dog rather than just give it away as a pet. She seems strangely clueless about how the other 99% of the country would see this.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2024, 02:21 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Did Obama order take out?
Old 05-06-2024, 03:12 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Did Obama order take out?
It took me about 20 seconds, but then I burst out laughing...GOOD ONE!
Old 05-06-2024, 05:54 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
We aren't talking legalities here. We are talking appearances. i hope she makes a lot of money on her book because she now has political leprosy for killing a one year old dog rather than just give it away as a pet. She seems strangely clueless about how the other 99% of the country would see this.

It was a dumb thing to write in a book, but I disagree that 99% would see that as wrong. I would never shoot a varmint, but I know a lot of my neighbors would. Giving an aggressive dog away as a pet is irresponsible. Since she had the means, she should have hired a professional dog trainer, someone without the means should have turned it over to the human society as they will either correct a dog's bad behavior or euthanize it.

In Virginia anything other than a human that harms livestock, pets, or plants is considered a varmint and can be dispatched. I am pretty sure a good bulk of people that live in rural areas in red counties would agree. When I was in California I used to lose too many chickens to count to coyotes, you cannot shot them there, you are not even supposed to kill rattlesnakes. I just had enough chickens to keep the household in eggs. The coyotes enjoyed us people who free ranged our chickens.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:26 PM   #7
TJDave

When Michael Vick was banned I bet my buddy 5k he would play again.

I’m still waiting to get paid.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:33 PM   #8
tucker6

Quote:
It was a dumb thing to write in a book, but I disagree that 99% would see that as wrong. I would never shoot a varmint, but I know a lot of my neighbors would. Giving an aggressive dog away as a pet is irresponsible. Since she had the means, she should have hired a professional dog trainer, someone without the means should have turned it over to the human society as they will either correct a dog's bad behavior or euthanize it.

In Virginia anything other than a human that harms livestock, pets, or plants is considered a varmint and can be dispatched. I am pretty sure a good bulk of people that live in rural areas in red counties would agree. When I was in California I used to lose too many chickens to count to coyotes, you cannot shot them there, you are not even supposed to kill rattlesnakes. I just had enough chickens to keep the household in eggs. The coyotes enjoyed us people who free ranged our chickens.
I come from a rural hunting community. Killing a dog like that never happened. You don't like the dog, give it away to someone who wants it warts and all, or you send it to a shelter. The Humane society is there to make the public feel good about killing their pet. Full stop. The majority of animals at the humane society are put down. 56% of dogs and 71% of cats. Re-training animals does not occur at the humane society or even no kill shelters. They are shelters in hopes of adoption. No more. No less. I should know. I spent many hours at shelters for 7 years. The amount of death is overwhelming, and we were a no kill shelter!!

No disrespect, but educate yourself on this issue. What Noem did is normalize the killing of animals. The Jeffrey Dalmers of the world take solace in the fact that a high ranking politician also maims and kills animals. Good stuff right?
Old 05-06-2024, 06:50 PM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I come from a rural hunting community. Killing a dog like that never happened. You don't like the dog, give it away to someone who wants it warts and all, or you send it to a shelter. The Humane society is there to make the public feel good about killing their pet. Full stop. The majority of animals at the humane society are put down. 56% of dogs and 71% of cats. Re-training animals does not occur at the humane society or even no kill shelters. They are shelters in hopes of adoption. No more. No less. I should know. I spent many hours at shelters for 7 years. The amount of death is overwhelming, and we were a no kill shelter!!

No disrespect, but educate yourself on this issue. What Noem did is normalize the killing of animals. The Jeffrey Dalmers of the world take solace in the fact that a high ranking politician also maims and kills animals. Good stuff right?

All locales are different, all shelters in my area are no kill. If they did kill dogs and cats here there would not be a cat on my desk right now. I was cat shopping to replace one that died. Pinball was the longest tenured cat in the shelter at 6 months due to behavioral problems. recently no other cat even lasted 2 months. While other cats were in open rooms 4-5 each he was locked down by himself, you had to ask to see him. When I said I would take him I had to sign off on his rap sheet. They even said they would make an exception and refund my fees if I brought him back without talking another animal. Around here they have people that will take pets that no one adopts.

Educate myself? Maybe you should do the same. Not all animal shelters are gunning gas chambers like what you have experienced. My ex girlfriend's sister volunteers at one, they are no kill also.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:06 PM   #10
tucker6

Quote:
All locales are different, all shelters in my area are no kill. If they did kill dogs and cats here there would not be a cat on my desk right now. I was cat shopping to replace one that died. Pinball was the longest tenured cat in the shelter at 6 months due to behavioral problems. recently no other cat even lasted 2 months. While other cats were in open rooms 4-5 each he was locked down by himself, you had to ask to see him. When I said I would take him I had to sign off on his rap sheet. They even said they would make an exception and refund my fees if I brought him back without talking another animal. Around here they have people that will take pets that no one adopts.

Educate myself? Maybe you should do the same. Not all animal shelters are gunning gas chambers like what you have experienced. My ex girlfriend's sister volunteers at one, they are no kill also.
I don’t know you at all, but I do know “no kill” shelters. I say again, educate yourself. Many no kill shelters often ship animals to other shelters for “better adoption opportunities”. That ends up being the end of the road for those animals. As for the local “no kill” shelter, their record remains unblemished yet they KNOW they sent animals to their deaths. It’s a shell game.

That’s said, I’m sure some no kill shelter are no kill shelter that don’t farm out the death. I know a few myself. They are the exception. I’m glad your girlfriend found a good one.
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #11
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I don’t know you at all, but I do know “no kill” shelters. I say again, educate yourself. Many no kill shelters often ship animals to other shelters for “better adoption opportunities”. That ends up being the end of the road for those animals. As for the local “no kill” shelter, their record remains unblemished yet they KNOW they sent animals to their deaths. It’s a shell game.

That’s said, I’m sure some no kill shelter are no kill shelter that don’t farm out the death. I know a few myself. They are the exception. I’m glad your girlfriend found a good one.

The shelters here send the animals that stay too long to rescue, and like I said my cat did 6 months and I had been following all the shelter sites and the cats were adopted out pretty quick. I was looking for a Siamese or a Siamese mix as I always liked their vocality and odd behavior. None turned up, funny thing I ended up with a tabby that made more noise than any Siamese ever did, even the purebred ones.

One rescue lady in the nearby county had 25 cats, she was a weird duck and declined my application to visit, even after I gave her a donation. She wanted my vet records on my previous cat and was alarmed I had only taken her to the vet 3 times in 9-3/4 years. I never took a pet in for a check up, only when sick or injured.
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #12
lamboguy

Quote:

i don't think what she wrote about was so dumb. she could have left out the dog part, but in her mind she wants to come clean and thought for whatever reason she was doing the right thing. i love dogs and all animals, but i also like people that are not afraid to make tough decisions, whether i agree with them or not. she wasn't trying to trick anyone or hide anything. for sure i don't like killing dogs, but i also have to like this lady's style.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM   #13
MTO Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
for sure i don't like killing dogs, but i also have to like this lady's style.

MTO Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTO Joe View Post

Well she claimed to have met one leader she did not, 527 more and she will catch Joe Biden.
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #15
TJDave

I grew up country.

When the dog got sick we didn’t pay thousands to the vet. We took it out back and put it down.

Horrible experience. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone