Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 03-22-2019, 05:21 AM   #1
Teach

Aqueduct: Friday, March 22

Race One:

Scarf It Down is dropping two levels. Yet, this gelding’s trainer, Oscar Barrera III, is winless in 26 tries. Barrera is trying to shake up things by putting the blinkers back on. Frankly, the above notations are not reassuring. Yet, I want to look at the glass of water as “half-full”; there are positive signs. First, today’s jockey, Hector Diaz, Jr., has shown improvement. Second, this 6-year old gelding has produced an array of solid morning works. Third, this Candy Ride-bred is back down at a level where he can be competitive. In fact, looking back at his record, the last time this gelding dropped to this level, he won. That victory came last summer at “The Spa”. Two other thoughts come to mind: (1) If the track comes up wet (it apparently has) this gelding should benefit, i.e., Candy Ride, Bertrando breeding. This bay has hit the tote in 2/3rds of his lifetime wet-track tries. (2) If a speed duel develops up front, this gelding could be the one of the beneficiaries. Finally, this is this gelding’s 3rd start off a layoff (I like that handicapping angle). In conclusion, I candidly admit that I have mixed emotions. I’m using this gelding in my plays, but with reservations. I do, however, believe that this gelding is capable of outrunning his morning-line odds.

2 Spartiatis just missed in a low-level claimer in his last; he was 3rd-a neck (this gelding now jumps up 2+ classes). In that last one, this Scat Daddy-bred was “pinched” coming out of the gate. That slow start put this 9-year old behind a cordon of horses. Jockey Hector Diaz, Jr. then moved this Johannesburg-bred to the inside. At the top of the stretch, this gelding was angled to the outside. Yet left-handed whip-urging had this French Deputy-bred drifting out into the 6-path. This gelding did finish with energy, yet he simply ran out of real estate. This aged gelding was claimed out of that one; he now resides in a Jason Servis barn. I might mention that this Johannesburg-bred went off as the prohibitive 2-to-5 favorite in that last race. One thing appears certain: this gelding, off that last effort, is going to attract wagering attention. Personally, I would proceed with caution. At this juncture, I might mention that the aforementioned Servis has outstanding numbers when it comes to “first after a claim” (he also does well w/up 2+ classes). Yet, I ask: “Can this horse get the job done?” He was, as cited, beaten by lower-level claimers. Yes, he had an excuse; he was “pinched” at the start. It should be noted that last year about this time this gelding competed in both the Grade III Tom Fool and the Grade I Carter. “The bug,” Ben Hernandez, is in the irons. I wouldn’t be surprised if this gelding won; yet, I must tell you that I’m leaning in the opposite direction. He may well go “chalk”; yet, I personally believe this gelding will likely be over-bet.

Nolinski has a lot going for him. First, his trainer, Gary Gullo, is quietly having a solid meet. This Bob and John-bred colt has won his last two races under Gullo’s tutelage. Gullo does very well with claim repeaters. The colt’s jockey, Eric Cancel, is becoming more accomplished; he’s sixth in wins in the jockey standings. I might add that this 4-year old appears ready. This Seeking the Gold-bred recently turned in a solid 3-panels work. This colt looks like he’ll be forwardly placed. This Yes It’s True-bred should move up on a wet track. I should note that this colt won out his lifetime conditions with his last victory. At this level, this colt is most capable of hitting the tote.

Malibu Action is another horse who should be headed to the front when the gates unlatch. I believe this gelding can get to the lead. This regally-bred 6-year old chestnut – he was sold at Ocala in 2015 for 300k -- defeated weaker in his last. The question: Can he make it two-in-a-row? I should mention that this gelding was claimed out of his last race; he now resides in a Rob Atras barn. Atras, by the way, is having an outstanding Aqueduct meet. Atras has good numbers with first-off-a-claim, albeit with a limited sampling. My main concern: Does this gelding hook up with Nolinski on the front end? That would diminish this gelding’s chances. I’m not so sure that will happen. Frankly, I’m not quite sure Nolinski has the speed to go with him. Yet I question whether this gelding can carry his speed to the finish line. I should mention that one of NYRA’s finest, Manny Franco, is in the irons. Franco rates horses as well as anyone. The rider-switch here is significant. I believe this A.P. Indy-bred will hit the board. Will he win? In concluding, I should caution that this Crafty Prospector-bred has never won on a wet track.

Stretch’s Stone has faced better. Yet, quite candidly, I do have concerns about this 6-year old “getting” the 6 and ½ furlongs distance. However, I believe this City Zip-bred (Carson City-bred) moves up considerably on a wet track. In fact, the last time this Bustin Stones-bred won was in the slop at Prx. Rajiv Maragh reprises the ride for trainer Bruce Levine. As a footnote: And to think, two years ago, this gelding ran in the Wood Memorial.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2019, 05:31 AM   #2
Teach

Race Two:

Impunity is a well-bred 3-year old gelding whose sire, Paynter, earned over one-million dollars during his brief racing career. The gelding’s dam, All Electric, was stakes-placed. In addition, All Electric produced 4 winners from 7 starters. This Grand Slam-bred gelding will move up on a wet Aqueduct oval, i.e., Awesome Again. This gelding has shipped up from Hallandale, FL where he had competed both on the turf and the main track. Today, this bay gelding drops in for a tag. The morning works have been good. Manny Franco is in the irons for trainer Jorge Abreu. Finally, nota bene: the only time this gelding ran on a sloppy track – his first start – he finished 2nd in this company at Belmont, last fall.

Mount Olympus is a 3-year old colt who could be quite competitive in this one-mile, 50k claimer. He has also shipped up from GP where he competed in both turf and main-track events. The turf try was less than stellar, the dirt try, on the other hand, produced a second-place finish, albeit at a somewhat lower level. Mike Maker trains (he does well w/2nd route races). Reylu Gutierrez is in the irons. I ask: “Will a return to the dirt, allow this horse to assert (himself)?” I think this colt could complete an exotic.

Bye Bye Man is a highly-priced 3-year old colt whose first and only race was on a sloppy track at one-mile in 60k MSW route; it was an abject failure. Although I didn’t watch the replay, this colt appeared to race “greenly”. According to the DRF, he “lunged” at the start and was then angled wide. The net result: a 9th place finish, a city-block behind the winner. A “mulligan”? After all, the breeding is there. The field is shorter. With one under his belt… Junior Alvarado in the stirrups and “Big D’s” Todd Pletcher trains. And if it rains (apparently it has), there’s plenty of wet-tracking breeding to go around, i.e., Dixie Union (Northern Dancer). I’ll glim the horse both on the track and on the infield tote (actually ADW). This colt could be “a sleeper”.

4 Bronxville is another Gulfstream shipper who has made his way north to South Ozone Park, the Queens, New York. This Tapit-bred bay colt has been facing MSW company. He now makes that precipitous drop into the claiming ranks. Yet, as I look over his lines, I get the feeling this colt may want to try sprints rather than routes. I ask: “Is today’s one-mile distance “A Bridge Too Far?” I should mention that his conditioner, Ray Handal, does well with 1st time maiden-claimers. Dylan Davis is in the irons.

Pickle Rick should be “on the engine”. Question: “Can he carry his speed eight panels?” I think this Twirling Candy-bred can be there. The question: Does he get his picture taken? I might add that this gelding will move way up on a wet track, i.e., Candy Ride, Storm Cat, etc. This gelding’s jockey, Jose Lezcano, must carefully ration out this colt’s speed. Brad Cox – he’s having an excellent meet – is this colt’s conditioner. Finally, a solid recent morning-work bolsters confidence. I’m leaning toward this 3-year old gelding as my top choice.

6 Bumperdoo looks like the “plodding” type. I must say that bay gelding looks overmatched here. Yet, I believe he moves up on a wet track. A solid recent work offers hope for improvement. I, personally, would not completely rule out this Birdstone (Grindstone)-bred from being part of your gimmick. He could surprise. Hector Diaz, Jr. is in the irons for trainer Nick Zito.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
Teach

Race Three:

Papa Shot comes back on short rest. This Forty Niner-bred picks up the services of jockey Manny Franco. That should help. Rudy Rodriguez trains. I’m a little wary of how “the inside” will play. Will there be a track bias? I will assess that in the first few races as I prepare for my Pick-6 plays. I believe this horse is playable, but I wouldn’t put “all my eggs in one basket”. This horse has indeed faced better over his racing career, but he has only won once in nearly two years. As an historical footnote: When Abraham Lincoln was shot at Ford’s Theater, his youngest son Tad, when he heard the news, he called out: “Pop Tot.” Tad Lincoln had both a cleft palate and cleft lip. He could not, unfortunately, enunciate certain word-blends.

Poshsky would move up on a wet track. In my opinion, the best I could possibly hope for would be to “mop up” a gimmick. By the way, tangentially, do you know the origin of the word “POSH”? (this is what happens to you at 5 a.m.). It originated with the early America-to-Europe summer cruises. Well-heeled American passengers would request cabins: “Port-side out” (left side or north-facing side of the ship, away from the sun, headed toward Europe; “Starboard home” right side of ship facing north heading back to America. Cooler that way. Thus, “Port-side out”: PO; “Starboard home” SH. The acronym: “POSH”. Oh, as for Poshky is concerned. As cited, a wet track would improve his chances. Greg DiPrima trains. Ruben Silvera rides.

3 O Shea Can You See did finish 2nd in a similar race, last time. This 2-panels stretch may not prove that formidable. There’s a chance this Curlin-bred can be competitive here. I would not rule him out. I believe there’s a chance that he can hit the board. This gelding’s most recent win came on a muddy track. Yet, this gelding’s owner-trainer, Eduardo Jones, is, quite candidly, having a less than stellar “Big A” meet. Reylu Gutierrez has the call.

4 Shamcat appears more suited for the turf than the main. Yet, this First Defence-bred horse surprised everyone in his last against weaker by finishing 2nd at 65-1. Personally, I’d be surprised if this horse were able to do that again. A solid morning work does offer some hope. Greg DiPrima trains. Carlos Hernandez reprises the ride.

Incubator went off at 4-to-5 against weaker in his last; he finished 2nd. He now steps up off a claim. Aparna Battula trains. Rajiv Maragh is in the irons. This Stephen Got Even-bred would appear to move up on a wet track. A chance to “mop up” an exotic?

Ironclad has won three-straight. You don’t have to be either the Monitor or the Merrimac (CSS Virginia) to realize that this Midshipman-bred bay gelding is “a player”. He would move up on a wet track. I definitely see this “claim-dropping” (the DRF calls his slide down the claiming-ladder: “suspicious”), Unbridled’s Song-bred, as “a contendah”. His new trainer, Mertkan Kantarmaci, has 2 wins in 5 tries with “drops off a claim”. Kantarmaci also does well with 1st after a claim. If the outside is the place to be, that will aid and abet this gelding’s chances. Don’t expect much at the windows. I see this gelding going off as “chalk”. Eric Cancel is in the irons.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 05:46 AM   #4
Teach

Race Four:

1 It’s a Shaw Thing is capable of hitting the board. Yet, I have concerns whether this Warrior’s Reward-bred is a “picture-taker”. On that note, I have stamina questions. This Medaglia d’Oro-bred has come up short in the stretch in four straight races. The endurance issue is the one that is most vexing. Yet, in her defense, this distaffer was rushed to the front in her last and then gamely held on for second. One of my concerns is: “How will the rail play?” Will that post be disadvantageous? This filly’s wet-track pedigree is acceptable, i.e., Medaglia d’Oro. Dylan Davis is back aboard for trainer Ed Barker. Barker does very well when moving a horse up one class. I keep thinking more in terms of a minor award.

Free Coffee did not run her race on a sloppy track in her last. She did go off as the 7-to-5 favorite. It is possible that the rail was not the place to be. Yet, this filly cannot be overlooked. She should benefit from any wetness, i.e., Orientate, Danzig, etc. I guess the question remains: “Does she want to go longer?” It seems to take her a while to get her into gear. Now, don’t get me wrong…this Hard Spun-bred bay filly can win; it’s just that… This Danzig-bred filly’s trainer, the Aussie,” Brian Lynch, is having a very good “Big A” meet. He’s 24% with beaten favorites and 22% with maiden claimers. This filly will have to angle to her outside. How easily or difficultly that can be accomplished will go a long way to determining how well she does in this race. At the very least, a board-hitting performance appears in the offing. The question remains: “Can she win?” I’ll use her, but I’m “buying insurance”. Reylu Gutierrez is in the irons.

Xanthique is a “mystery” horse. She’s been installed as a medium longshot at 6-1. I see this horse as a potential “sleeper”. Before you say: “Abuelo loco”. Before you call out: “Mishugaas”. Before you utter: “Tu sei pazzo!” Remember last Saturday. Joey Martinez. He was aboard a 35-1 named She Makes Me Smile. The horse won. Furthermore, I’d hate to see this Into Mischief-bred bay filly beat me (I believe that if I get by this first leg I’ve got a shot of findin’ a pot o’ gold at the end of the rainbow). Can history repeat itself? The Bob Ribaudo-Mark Keller combo have a way of surprising us. The aforementioned Bob Ribaudo does well with horses competing in their 2nd career race. This filly was 2nd in the slop in this company, last time. That despite brushing the gate. A clean beginning… Her broodmare, Qualia, had 2 winners from 4 starters. I’m using her because I think she has, at her best, a shot.

4 Big Bennys Tribute is a first-time starter out of the Rudy Rodriguez barn. Rodriguez is a modest 15% with his first-timers. The morning works are nuthin’ to write home about. Yet, Michael Dubb et al. paid 110k for this Curlin-bred. Her broodmare, Adrina, had 1 winner, 1 stakes winner from 1 starter. In addition, she should take to a sloppy track. Luis Reyes is in the stirrups.

5 Forbidden Frolic is another first-time starter out of the Linda Rice barns. What immediately catches my eye is the fact that this filly’s dam, Flashy Frolic, had 8 winners from 10 starters, 3 stakes winners. Yet, Linda Rice is only 14% with her first-time starters. This bay filly’s sire is only 6% with his first-time starters. This filly’s morning works are not overly impressive. Frankly, I have my doubts. Dave Aragona of Time Form US cites that this first-timer is the first foal out of very old dam, the aforementioned Flashy Frolic. That does not, on many occasions, augur well.

6 Sarah’s Rainbow is a filly I will likely leave out (you can’t bet them all). I see nothing redeeming unless you take into account the fact that she has faced better. Randi Persaud both part-owns and trains this Shackelford-bred 3-year old.

Bizness Beauty will move way up on a wet track, e.g., Giant’s Causeway, Malibu Moon, etc. Yet, she hasn’t been able to defeat weaker in her last two starts. That’s not too reassuring. I should mention that Ben Hernandez lost his iron at the start of this filly’s last race. With all the gloom and doom, one thing that you can hang your hat on is the fact that there’s a significant rider switch to Eric Cancel. I believe that fact alone enhances this filly’s chances. One thing you need to keep in mind: This filly has had “gate issues”. She has a tendency to stumble coming out of the gate. In a sprint, there’s little time to make up for a poor start. We should know immediately as to this gal’s chances as soon as the field leaves the gate. With a clean start, she’s in play; if not… Gary Contessa is this filly’s trainer. If I knew she were going to break cleanly…

Miss You Blues is playable. Yet, quite frankly, I don’t know what to expect. If there’s a track bias to the outside, this Montbrook-bred should move up. Will this 3-year-old first-timer hook a sharp right and head for the Belt Pkwy., or will she head straight down the backstretch? That is always a question-mark with a first-timer, outside-post horse. In her favor, I will say this filly had a most-solid, recent 4-panels work. She blitzed the 4 furlongs in :47, breezing. There is also a wet-track pedigree, the aforementioned Montbrook (Buckpasser). Yet, there’s also a concerning stat: trainer Michelle Nevin is only 8% with her first-time starters. Manny Franco is in the irons. I can see myself using this chestnut filly. However, I’ll watch her on the track and on the tote.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #5
Teach

Race Five:

1 Dooley is what I call a “pick-up-the-pieces” horse. He manages, on nearly every occasion, to complete a gimmick. Today will likely prove to be no exception. Eric Cancel for David Donk.

2 Special Story would likely move up on a wet track. I don’t see this Greg DiPrima trainee gracing the winner’s circle; yet there is a chance he could “mop up” an exotic. Reylu Gutierrez is in the irons.

Starship Zeus has faced better. He moves up on a wet track. Charley Baker is a solid trainer who does well with both claiming events and horses that have been on vacation. I would be hard pressed to recommend this gelding as a “picture-taker,” yet a minor award… Carlos Hernandez in the stirrups.

Eagle Pass looks like “The Horse” (I’m tempted to “single” him). This Maria’s Mon-bred is classier than most of these. This 4-year old moves up on a wet track. Linda Rice does exceptionally well with beaten favorites. Manny Franco has the call.

Call Me could plod along to complete an exotic. This 4-year old can certainly get the distance. Mertkan Kantarmaci does well with 2nd after a claim. Luis Reyes is in the irons.

Admiral Blue has been beaten by weaker; yet he would move up on a wet track. Kendrick Carmouche is in the irons for trainer Dave Cannizzo. This Afleet Alex-bred horse’s pedigree attests to this 6-year old’s wet-track propensity (both his wins came on a wet racing surface).

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 05:52 AM   #6
Teach

Race Six:

1 Barbara P may improve with Lasix; yet it appears that it will take more than that to have this Freud-bred grace the tote-board. Sammy Camacho, Jr., for trainer Jim Ferraro.

2 Too Many Tales could be “The Sleeper” here. This Tale of the Cat-bred must be angled out if he is to get into contention. A wet track would move him up. Ben Hernandez for Rodrigo Ubillo.

3 Topline showed little in his only start. I personally don’t see this Shackleford-bred as a contender. A minor award is possible. Rajiv Maragh for Bruce Levine.

4 Homemade is a first-time starter whose morning work-tab leaves much to be desired. Yet, the combination of trainer Linda Rice and jockey Jose Lezcano must be respected. Personally, I have my doubts, but I learned long ago to “never say never”.

Annette’s Humor has been beaten by weaker. Yet, this filly will most definitely move up on a wet track. Then, there’s the services of jockey Manny Franco. Rudy Rodriguez trains. Rodriguez does very well with beaten favorites. Finally, this filly may go straight to the top in a race this is devoid of early speed. If she can clear, she immediately becomes “a player”. She is worthy of consideration.

Cholmondeley drops in for “a tag”. This filly is now trained by the most capable Kiaran McLaughlin. McLaughlin does very well with horses making their 2nd career start. Oh, the wet-track breeding is there. This Awesome Again-bred is adding Lasix. I consider this filly “a player”. Reylu Gutierrez is in the irons.

Delta Gamma will benefit from a wet track (he may have some turf races in his future). This filly has had three 2nd place finishes in four races. Two of those runner-up performances came at the MSW level. I can’t ignore. I believe this filly merits serious attention. Dylan Davis for Linda Rice. Linda does very well with maiden claimers.

Carnarsie Princess is, in my opinion, “a sleeper”. This Big Brown-bred has significant wet-track breeding. Her dam, Smartgabrielle, had 3 winners from 3 starters. Trainer Mike Miceli has the knack of surprising us with one of his entrants. Miceli does well with horses entered in maiden claimers. “The Louisiana Kid,” Kendrick Carmouche, is in the irons.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 05:56 AM   #7
Teach

Race Seven:

Cross Multiply would appear to move up on a wet track. Yet, this colt overall record – one win in 21 tries – does not bolster confidence. This 4-year old is again running in “open” company; that would appear to make it that much more difficult to garner his second lifetime win. I will say this: This colt’s morning works are good. I’m thinking more in terms of a possible minor award.

2 Quest for Fire started his career like a house o’ fire. This late-blooming City Zip-bred won at first asking. Yet, after that, it’s been all downhill. Admittedly, two of those tries were against stellar company. Yet, this 5-year old’s most recent loss was against lower-level claimers. This gelding was claimed out of that one by Chad Summers. I will mention that this Carson City-bred does have a solid wet-track pedigree. That would move him up; yet, I don’t believe it would enough for him to hit the board. Carlos Hernandez is in the irons. Oh, I should mention that this gelding has turned in a couple “bullet” morning works.

Bourbon N Rye would appear to be “The Horse”. This 4-year old gelding has faced much better during his career. I should mention that this Distorted Humor-bred was ambitiously entered against allowance company, last time. He failed, miserably. He finished last, 31 lengths behind the winner. But alas, today offers a chance to make amends. This Ghostzapper-bred has a solid wet-track pedigree. He sports a sharp 4-panels work. This gelding should be going for the lead. I guess my only concern is that he’s been away from the races for a month and a half. Mark Hennig trains. Reylu Gutierrez is in the irons. I’m tempted to single him. The operative word is “tempted”.

Our American Star’s only win in 29 tries did come against, and this gelding should move up on a wet track. Yet, for the most part, other than that, I would be hard-pressed to use him in my plays. This Noonmark-bred does get the services of Kendrick Carmouche, that’s a plus. Lolita Shivmangal owns and trains.

Thunder’s Honor is, in my opinion, “The Sleeper”. This Mineshaft-bred has faced better. Yet, I should mention that this First Samurai-bred’s only win came on the lawn. This colt went chalk in his last, yet he finished 4th. The colt’s trainer, George Weaver, does very well w/beaten favorites. Eric Cancel reprises the drive. If there’s a gnawing concern, it’s the fact that this colt has been away from the races for over 3 months.

6 Great Going defeated weaker in his last. This chestnut horse now moves up after his maiden-breaking win. Yet, that win came nearly one year ago. I frankly have serious doubts that this horse can make it two-in-a-row. Hector Diaz, Jr. is in the irons for owner-trainer John Quiles.

7 Da Meister is another horse who broke his maiden against weaker. Personally, I just don’t see this 5-year old hitting the tote. This horse hasn’t raced in over one year. Ed Pringle trains. Joey Martiez is in the stirrups.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 06:00 AM   #8
Teach

Race Eight:

Bluegrass Jamboree has a chance here. This Bluegrass Cat-bred mare won her last, easily. She’s trained and part-owned by the most capable Charley Baker. If the track comes up sloppy, this 5-year old’s pedigree says she can handle that surface. This mare is worthy of consideration in your exotic and multi-race plays. Jose Lezcano is in the irons.

2 Luz Mimi ships in from Laurel. In my opinion, she would be a surprise if she were to prevail here. Yet, she does have a solid wet-track pedigree. I guess one of my major concerns is that this mare has been away from the races for more than 3 months. Dylan Davis for Jeremiah Englehart.

3 Assail is another Laurel shipper. In my opinion, she bears watching. This Forest Wildcat-bred most definitely moves up on a wet track. In addition, this mare has hit the board, either 1st or 2nd, in 16 out of 23 lifetime tries. This Wildcat Heir-bred should be forwardly placed. Patricia Farro trains; Roberto Rosado is in the irons.

4 D J’s Favorite is, in my opinion, “a player”. I believe this Union Rags-bred moves way up on a sloppy track. This bay filly has the services of both jockey Junior Alvarado and trainer Linda Rice. Linda Rice does very well with winners of their last race.

Palladian Bridge has been running in non-graded state-bred stakes races. I see this chestnut mare as another “player”. This A.P. Indy-bred races extremely well on wet surfaces. In this race, she picks up the services of one of NYRA’s finest, Manny Franco. Ray Handal trains.

Short Kakes is cutting back one panel off her last race; that may help. This mare is what I would deem “a sleeper”. I cannot rule her out as far as “picture-taking” is concerned. She has the ability to surprise. Kendrick Carmouche is in the irons for trainer Dave Cannizzo.

7 Annie Rocks is another distaffer who bears watching. This mare’s trainer, Rudy Rodriguez, does very well with horses who are 1st after a claim. I wouldn’t be surprised if this 6-year old were in contention. I should cite that this mare hasn’t raced for 2 months. Luis Reyes is in the irons.

Pauseforthecause is another “sleeper” in what I view as a wide-open race. This bay filly finished 2nd in a non-graded New York state-bred race last time. She’s fully capable of competing here. This 4-year old has hit the tote in all six tries at the distance. Rajiv Maragh for Kiaran McLaughlin.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 06:04 AM   #9
Teach

Race Nine:

1 Wailin Josie was competitive in her last in this company (she was bumped at the start). As I watched the replay, this Speightstown-bred filly couldn’t find any daylight. I feel that her lack of gate speed will put her in a similar predicament in today’s race. I should mention that expected moisture could help her chances. This filly’s most recent 3-panels work was exceptional. Yet, a minor award is, in my opinion, the most we might expect. Sammy Camacho, Jr. is in the irons for trainer Steve Jerkens.

Rumor Driven was a highly-priced purchase. She has both wet-track breeding (Candy Ride) and a first-time starter pedigree (Storm Cat). Are there some turf races in this filly’s future? Frankly, I’m not sure what to expect. Chad Brown is an excellent trainer. Manny Franco’s one of the best. Yet, their charge must perform. Will she? I know I can’t leave her off my ticket.

3 Two Graces did not show much in her two pari-mutuel starts. Frankly, I’m skeptical that we’ll see much improvement off those two efforts. This filly’s Lemon Drop Kid breeding will help on a wet track. Kendrick Carmouche is in the irons for Jim Ryerson.

Behind the Couch is, in my opinion, “a player”. Today’s slight stretch from this filly’s last should help. So too are the services of jockey Junior Alvarado for trainer Jeremiah Englehart. This filly has a solid wet-track pedigree. Personally, I consider this Awesome Again-bred filly a “must use”.

Harley Q is another horse in the finale that merits consideration. She’s a consistent board-hitter in this company. The one time this Mucho Macho Man-bred filly failed to hit the tote was up at Saratoga where she finished 4th in a non-graded stakes. Uriah St. Louis both owns and trains this Macho Uno-bred. Dylan Davis is in the irons.

6 Dublinornothing is a first-time starter out of the Karl Grusmark barn. What immediately catches my attention is this filly’s array of solid morning works. If what happens in the morning translates to the main track in the afternoon, then this distaffer is a horse to be considered. Reylu Gutierrez has the call.

7 Lady Macho could be “a sleeper” here. She was a closing 4th in her only pari-mutuel start. I feel this filly is a horse to be reckoned with. A solid recent work bolsters confidence. Rajiv Maragh is in the stirrups for trainer Bruce Levine. I’ll be interested to see what kind of attention she attracts.

Cash Offer got off a step slow in her only race at Los Alamitos back on Independence Day last year. She was rushed up into quarter-horse fractions. She folded badly in the stretch. Yet, she did go off at slightly less than 5-1 odds. That can be intriguing for a first-time starter in MSW company. This Shackleford-(Forestry) bred filly has a solid wet-track pedigree. This 3-year old also turned a recent “bullet” work. I wouldn’t be surprised if she graced the tote. I would call her a “sleeper”. If she breaks alterly… Jose Lezcano for Mark Hennig.

9 Linda’s Ballet was a high-priced Ocala purchase. Frankly, I see her pedigree as leaning in the direction of the turf rather than the main. A wet track would help. Her trainer, Linda Rice, is not particularly known for first-time-starter winners. “The bug,” Ben Hernandez, is in the irons.

10 Nine From Two is, in my opinion, a first-time starter “sleeper”. Scat Daddy-bred first-timers usually do very well. And, the outside may be the place to be. Further, the wet-track breeding is very good. Possible track bias will mean everything to this filly’s chances. Eric Cancel is in the irons for trainer Gary Sciacca.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #10
Teach

How I’m going to condition my Pick-6 ticket?

Race Four:

I’m sure we all want to avoid being “knocked out” in the first leg. Oh, I love these “change-your-life” betting opportunities.

I can’t take a chance and “single” in this first leg. In fact, I was thinking of going 3-deep, maybe 4.

My top choice is: , Bizness Beauty. I should say I’m predicating my picks on Aqueduct's wet-track conditions. First, this filly is very nicely bred. The filly’s sire, Fed Biz, was arguably the fastest son of one the best sires ever, Giant’s Causeway. Giant’s Causeway- Spunoutacontrol means Wild Again. Wild Again is one of the top names that comes to mind when I think about wet-track breeding. I always considered Wild Again-bred horses a "must-use" when there were wet-track conditions.

Further, I’m also taking into account the rider-switch to Eric Cancel.

Then, there's the start of the race. That start will be critical. This filly has had coming-out-of-the-gate issues. If she can get by that initial “hurdle,” I think she has a strong chance of winning.

Isn’t there always a fly in the ointment. There have been no morning works since her last race on February 28.

In addition, I’m thinking of using: , Free Coffee; Xanthique and Miss You Blues.

I'll be back with my 5th race, 2nd leg thoughts, soon.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
Teach

Race Five:

In the second leg of the Pick 6, I’m “singling” (only so many “bullets” in the bandolier). That “single” is Eagle Pass. I can list several reasons why I’ve come up with this choice. (1) Jockey Manny Franco is one of the best, not only on the NYRA circuit, but throughout the country. This Carolina, Puerto Rico native, gets better and better every time he puts his boots in the irons. He rates horses very well. Franco has career earnings of almost 70-million dollars, yet he’s only 25-years old. (2) Trainer Linda Rice is one of the most consistent trainers on the NYRA circuit. The question often is: “Who does Linda have entered?” She’s 33% with beaten favorites. (3) This well-bred 4-year old gelding appears to relish wet-track conditions. He moves up every time he runs on a wet surface. (4) Her “grandpa,” the grey, Maria’s Mon, was the champion 2-year old colt in 1995. He produced two Kentucky Derby winners. He was also known as a solid wet-track (Wavering Monarch) sire.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #12
Teach

Race Six:

Here’s where things get “dicey”. If I can get by the first two legs, I’m going to really sweat this third leg. I’m 'betwixt and between', not only as to whom I should use, but how many horses I decide to play.

One factor that will influence my decision is how the track is playing. I’ll learn more about that from the first three races on the card; it will go a long way to helping me make my decision.

First, I’m leaning toward the “outside” horses. I don’t know this at the moment, yet past experience leads me to believe that the outside may be the place to be on the racetrack.

Delta Gamma moves up on wet track (yet, her breeding indicates turf). I like the Linda Rice-Dylan Davis connection. I’m looking for a closer; this filly fits that bill. She’s shortening up some; that should help.

Others I’m thinking about are: Annette’s Humor. Manny Franco for Rudy Rodriguez, and Cholmondeley; she may be in play. I have the greatest respect for her conditioner, Kiaran McLaughlin. After that – I’m not sure I can go any further – I might consider: Canarsie Princess and Too Many Tales.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #13
Teach

Race Seven:

My second “singleton” in this Pick-6 sequence is: Bourbon N Rye.

This gelding was ambitiously entered in allowance company in his last; he finished up the track. Now, he’s back in with the kind he can defeat. The last time this gelding ran on a muddy track against better claiming types, he romped. All this Distorted Humor-bred need do is to reprise that effort and it will be “picture-taking” time in the winner’s circle. A sharp recent work bolsters confidence. Reylu Gutierrez for Mark Hennig. I suppose my only concern is that this Ghostzapper-bred hasn’t raced in over a month and a half. Yet...I still believe he can prevail.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #14
Teach

Race Eight:

This is a tough one as we reach what I like to call the “late double” of the Pick-6.

If you’re alive through the first four legs and have say three or four horses in each of the last two legs, you must be smilin’ like a “Chessie Cat”.

As for me, I could make a case for four or five horses, even one that I didn’t cite in my “Top Four”. In this case, my lukewarm, tepid nod in this race goes to Palladian Bridge. This mare has competed in New York state-bred non-stakes events. She won in open company back in November on a sloppy track at a much higher level. Manny Franco was the jockey then as he is today.

A horse that I did not include in my original “Final Four” who deserves consideration is D J’s Favorite. This filly loves the off-going. Then there are distaffers like Bluegrass Jamboree and Pauseforthecause. This may be the toughest leg to surmount on your quest for handicapping riches.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #15
Teach

Race Nine:

I’m finishing up with two horses. One, in particular, is not for the feint o’ heart. That’s Cash Offer. Something keeps telling me that this bay filly might just do it. I may even “take a walk on the wild side” and “single” him.

As you read this, you must be shaking your head. This filly’s had only one race – a none-too-distinguishing one at that. She hasn’t raced in over 8 months. However, this Shackleford-bred has the kind of breeding that says: “I love the mud!”

Yet, what really enthuses me about this filly is a recent “bullet” work. I must, in the end, give this filly a shot. I’m willing to give her “a mulligan” on her last race. Jose Lezcano rides for Mark Hennig.

The other distaffer I’m considering is Harley Q. It’s her 3rd start off a layoff. She’s had a couple sharp workouts. I believe she has a chance. Dylan Davis for owner-trainer Uriah St. Louis.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: