Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Gerard02

Kentucky Derby scenario

In all the Kentucky Derbies run from 2000 thru 2017, we have seen the winners of the Florida Derby, SA Derby and Arkansas Derby finish in the money. Superfecta as well. Here is a question for all of you to consider.
Is it possible to see Audible, Justify and Magnum Moon run out of the money?
Another thought. Could any of them run out of 4th? This would leave Vino Rosso to Battle Bolt D’Oro, Mendelssohn, and Hofburg. In my mind, I can’t see this nightmare scenario coming to fruition. Statistically, it would be a first to my knowledge. I came up with some wild wager scenarios. Some include all three horses in combos. Others without them. I’m just throwing spitballs, but better to get this one out there, now, rather then a couple of days before the race.
Gerard02 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Wait for the post draw and see who is next to who.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
papillon

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard02 View Post
In all the Kentucky Derbies run from 2000 thru 2017, we have seen the winners of the Florida Derby, SA Derby and Arkansas Derby finish in the money. Superfecta as well. Here is a question for all of you to consider.
Is it possible to see Audible, Justify and Magnum Moon run out of the money?
Another thought. Could any of them run out of 4th? This would leave Vino Rosso to Battle Bolt D’Oro, Mendelssohn, and Hofburg. In my mind, I can’t see this nightmare scenario coming to fruition. Statistically, it would be a first to my knowledge. I came up with some wild wager scenarios. Some include all three horses in combos. Others without them. I’m just throwing spitballs, but better to get this one out there, now, rather then a couple of days before the race.
With Audible, I find it less than 50% chance he will not at least be in the super. There are really no marks against him other than Into Mischief being both a Storm Cat and a Sprinter. The stats for Storm Cats are worse than the Florida derby is good. And we don't really know about Into Mischief's influence, but his sister was ok at 10f.

I'm going to abstain about Justify. It's not worth the grief. However, there are three things that may or may not be big deals: his extension, Baffert choosing to ship late, and Baffert not working him like he has worked his other derby contenders. The extension was mentioned by Jeff Siegal, the late shipping and the work change up has been discussed at Thorograph. I'm no leg action action expert, but after Siegal mentioned in passing that long extension like his is more turf than dirt, I watch his workout from today, then watched in succession Fager's mile, the Bid's Strub, and Secretariat's Derby, then watched him again, and they are clearly quite different from his, tight and digging. YMMV.

Magnum Moon has a lot of furlongs in him right now, he'll be on his 5th straint race in 5 months, and he went from straight from 115lbs to 122lbs and ran slower and drifted out badly, he certainly wasn't Bodemeister or Curlin. Of the three, I'd say he is the most likely to finish up the track.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Magnum Moon has run Beyers of 95-88-97-98. I don't see any move beyond that in his immediate future. I think he has hit his ceiling for now.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
MNslappy

Quote:
Maybe I'm confused by the wording here, but it's NOT true that the winners of these three races have finished in the Derby superfecta every year since 2000.
MNslappy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #6
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Magnum Moon has run Beyers of 95-88-97-98. I don't see any move beyond that in his immediate future. I think he has hit his ceiling for now.
Tom I know you probably don't believe sharing means caring but it's 4:52 in the afternoon and I just dropped a deuce and I think I flushed Magnum Moon down there with it!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #7
GMB@BP

Quote:
Done that with pretty slow paces, if Justify is a bad bet this horse might be much worse.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Tom I know you probably don't believe sharing means caring but it's 4:52 in the afternoon and I just dropped a deuce and I think I flushed Magnum Moon down there with it!
It's now 5:52 and I just got it!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
clicknow

Quote:
Is it possible to see .....
Of course it is possible.

that's why the 2005 exacta paid almost $10,000

The people tossing out "spitballs" that day certainly weren't apologizing for winning a $133,134.80
trifecta.

2006, 2009, 2001 and 2002 weren't too bad either. 2011 was kinda okay, too.

Last edited by clicknow; 04-27-2018 at 05:49 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Does this mean I have to auto-toss Good Magic?

Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #11
Gerard02

My apologies, If my topic stirred the pot a little. It was meant to stimulate thought and conversation.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #12
Gerard02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNslappy View Post
Maybe I'm confused by the wording here, but it's NOT true that the winners of these three races have finished in the Derby superfecta every year since 2000.
I’m sorry. My wording was a bit off. What I meant was some of these winners finished 4th.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #13
Gerard02

If we look at the stats, we see the years 2008, 09, 10, 11, the Derby winner did not qualify their final 3/8 and 1/8 in the prescribed time. Anomaly? You be the judge. Looking over the information, our derby winners around that grouping qualified. Many in the mix were RAN and Buckpasser-X combos, or either of each. Interesting patterns here. I’m glad I began my work, yesterday. Got much done on my day off. I’m looking at the Beyers, now. The puzzle comes together as more conversation goes on.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
boys at tosconova

Quote:
the horse has only 4 races with each one beter than the other.

it's pretty amazing how creedence people put in speed figures allowing them to cloud and decide their judgement with any said horse
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #15
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys at tosconova View Post

it's pretty amazing how creedence people put in speed figures allowing them to cloud and decide their judgement with any said horse
For me personally,a rough estimate

Speed Figures 60%
Race Design - 20%
Form Cycles or other like factors - 15%
Connections 5%
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply