Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 08-09-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
Tor Ekman

LET'S GO METS!!!

Great win tonight. Let's keep this train rolling. YA GOTTA BELIEVE!!!
Tor Ekman is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2019, 11:47 PM   #2
incoming

How in the hell do you expect that train to roll thru injun country with their scalps intact. By the way, what is a Met.....is that some kind of a NY fancy word. GO BRAVES!!
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
Marshall Bennett

Degrom and Wheeler are in top form and at last the hits are coming. I'd like to see them nab a wildcard slot.
Astros picked up Geinke to add to an already strong pitching staff, the team is healthy again, and they have a 10 game lead. They should be favored to win pennant, but the Yankee name may hinder that.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
How in the hell do you expect that train to roll thru injun country with their scalps intact. By the way, what is a Met.....is that some kind of a NY fancy word. GO BRAVES!!
The New York Metropolitan Baseball Club, mister.

Bravos may have the division sewn up, but your club will choke as usual in post-season . . . what was it, all of one WS championship during that run of year-after-year division titles with Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz? Braves will spit the bit again, book it.

LET'S GO METS !!!
Old 08-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
incoming

Actually, just a casual fan of the Braves.....trying to make a funny. But the 2or 3 times that I have watched this season....if their bats every cool off they are in deep do-do.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
Great win tonight. Let's keep this train rolling. YA GOTTA BELIEVE!!!
Don't get too excited. Syndergaard loses tonight.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
jk3521
Registered Loser

I remember in 1973, a co-worker kept taunting me about the Mets being losers as they were in last place in July "How 'bout those Mets " he laughed every morning. Yogi and the gang turned things around and took Oakland all the way to the seventh game of the WS. "Ya gotta believe" yelled the great Tug McGraw !
I'm wouldn't call myself a "fan" any longer, but I had given up on them two weeks before the All-Star game this year.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
Tor Ekman

To this day I still wonder "what if" if Yogi had pitched George Stone in game 6 vs A's instead of Seaver on short rest, then if they'd still lost game 6 they'd have had Seaver ready on full rest for game 7 instead of Matlack on short rest
Old 08-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #9
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Was that the year Bud and Pete had a slight disagreement about protocol out by second base?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Was that the year Bud and Pete had a slight disagreement about protocol out by second base?
Yes, that was in the '73 NLCS. Rose went in hard at 2nd base to try to take out Buddy on inning ending DP, I believe he was on base via hit by pitch and was looking to exact some reveng. Buddy to his credit wasn't having it and all hell broke loose with fisticuffs. After the brawl, when Rose went out to his position in LF next inning, they had to bring out a batting helmet to him for his own protection from the barrage from the fans including a few radio batteries. Yogi joined by I believe Cleon and Seaver had to walk out to the outfield to quell the fan rebellion for fear that umps might call Reds off field for safety and declare a forfeit if fans continued to pelt Rose.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
Tor Ekman

Light hitting Luis Guillorme going deep to tie the game?!? Shades of Al Weis in 1969. Could this be another team of destiny?
Old 08-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
incoming

The next stop for the Metropolitans will be in injun country. Wheels will come off of that NY train.

But I do have another interesting Pete Rose saga. Rose and the Reds came to Atlanta in the late 1970's. Rose had a 44 game hitting streak going on and was chasing Joe DiMaggio's 56 conscutive game hitting record. Braves, were pitching around Rose all night and on his final at bat he was hitless. Gene Garber was on the mound, a very good shit ball pitcher. He would sometimes throw 3-4 change-ups in a row. Garber wasn't going to give him anything to hit and finally k'ed him on a pitch at least 3 feet outside. Rose slams his helmet into the ground and starts walking toward the mound. Garber is standing on the mound...hands on hips....laughing his hinny off.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
Secondbest

NATS bullpen is horrible.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #14
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
But I do have another interesting Pete Rose saga. Rose and the Reds came to Atlanta in the late 1970's. Rose had a 44 game hitting streak going on and was chasing Joe DiMaggio's 56 conscutive game hitting record. Braves, were pitching around Rose all night and on his final at bat he was hitless. Gene Garber was on the mound, a very good shit ball pitcher. He would sometimes throw 3-4 change-ups in a row. Garber wasn't going to give him anything to hit and finally k'ed him on a pitch at least 3 feet outside. Rose slams his helmet into the ground and starts walking toward the mound. Garber is standing on the mound...hands on hips....laughing his hinny off.
I remember that, and in post-game interview Rose whined and whined that Garber didn't challenge him with a fastball . . . well, duh, Pete, Garber couldn't break a pane of glass with that slop that he threw, he was all about deception, why the hell would he challenge you? Classy as always was Charlie Hustle that night.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #15
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I think he dropped a couple bunts during that streak to keep it going, too.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply