Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

View Poll Results: 2019 Handicapping Software Poll!
Value Capper 122 21.18%
Black Magic 95 16.49%
HSH 97 16.84%
RDSS 109 18.92%
JCapper 97 16.84%
HTR 127 22.05%
Betmix 114 19.79%
Nocal Greg Programs 125 21.70%
Handifast 94 16.32%
All Data Free 91 15.80%
Homegrown 126 21.88%
Old Sartin Programs 101 17.53%
Other Not Listed 205 35.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 576. This poll is closed

Old 12-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #151
plainolebill

Try right clicking on the program icon and choosing run as administrator. That has worked for me.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2019, 09:50 PM   #152
Appy

Windows 7 will definitely run 32 bit programs. I have 2 laptops that are Win7 I keep and use for just that reason.
You sure that old Taulbot program isn't 16 bit? That could be problematic. I don't know.
I also run a 32 bit on Win10, but you must allow changes to your computer, partitions, etc in order for my program to work. And like plainolebill said first order of business is to click 'run as administrator'.

Last edited by Appy; 12-25-2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling error
Appy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2019, 10:56 PM   #153
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appy View Post
Windows 7 will definitely run 32 bit programs. I have 2 laptops that are Win7 I keep and use for just that reason.
You sure that old Taulbot program isn't 16 bit? That could be problematic. I don't know.
I also run a 32 bit on Win10, but you must allow changes to your computer, partitions, etc in order for my program to work. And like plainolebill said first order of business is to click 'run as administrator'.
Appy,

It really doesn't matter which OS you are running.

If the program is 16-bit, it just needs to be a 32-bit exe.

There actually are 32-bit versions of Win10 & Win8 but you really don't want them.

One of the limitations of 32-bit Windows is that they will only see about 3GB of RAM, no matter how much is actually in the machine.

Since Win10 & Win8 are a bit portly in the memory needs department, 3GB is really not enough to get good performance.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #154
coacht

ray taulbot

Thanks plainolebill, appy and Dave,

I'm going to try all your ideas and see what happens.

coacht
coacht is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #155
Appy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Appy,

It really doesn't matter which OS you are running.

If the program is 16-bit, it just needs to be a 32-bit exe.

There actually are 32-bit versions of Win10 & Win8 but you really don't want them.

One of the limitations of 32-bit Windows is that they will only see about 3GB of RAM, no matter how much is actually in the machine.

Since Win10 & Win8 are a bit portly in the memory needs department, 3GB is really not enough to get good performance.
I know you're a busy guy Dave, but sometime if you have time shoot me a message about what is involved in changing a 32 bit program to 64 bit. Everything I've heard so far has been very discouraging (not to mention expensive). Your comment above about just needing a 32 bit exe made it sound less complicated than I've heard.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #156
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
...what is involved in changing a 32 bit program to 64 bit. Everything I've heard so far has been very discouraging (not to mention expensive). Your comment above about just needing a 32 bit exe made it sound less complicated than I've heard.
The source code needs to be recompiled with a 64-bit compiler. Some languages are limited to 32 bits because of the compiler; others will compile to either. To my knowledge there is no conversion program to take a 32-bit exe and make it 64-bit. For now, Windows supports 32-bit. M$ has mentioned in the past that future versions may support 64+ and not 32. So far M$ is still playing nice and not breaking all 32-bit apps that people/companies use. If a program doesn't work it is probably missing a critical file from the OS(es) that met the specs of the program, so now it won't run on a later version of Windows because it doesn't find that file.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #157
JimG

The setup file for Electronic Pace Calculator is 16-bit. You would need a 32-bit setup file for it, then it would install and run fine on a windows 64-bit machine. The programmer Randy Kovach is a heck of a nice guy and may be able to help you out. Hopefully he will see this.

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 12-26-2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: clarification
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2019, 09:23 PM   #158
coacht

Thanks Jim

I’m running out of options.

Hive Ray Taulbots Pace evaluator

Hope the programmer you mentioned can help.

Gene.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #159
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I know you're a busy guy Dave, but sometime if you have time shoot me a message about what is involved in changing a 32 bit program to 64 bit. Everything I've heard so far has been very discouraging (not to mention expensive). Your comment above about just needing a 32 bit exe made it sound less complicated than I've heard.
To my knowledge the only way is to get the source code (which I doubt you can do), upgrade the language to the level where it has a "compiler" that can compile it into 32-bit.

Depending upon which language it was written in, this can be anything from relatively simplistic to easier to rewrite the entire program.

Quote:
JimG The setup file for Electronic Pace Calculator is 16-bit. You would need a 32-bit setup file for it, then it would install and run fine on a windows 64-bit machine. The programmer Randy Kovach is a heck of a nice guy and may be able to help you out. Hopefully he will see this.
Best guess would be that this would not do it as the .exe file itself would still be 16-bit.

But I am more than willing to be educated because I have an old Tiger Woods 2003 golf game that I'd love to get installed even on my Win7-32 machine.

I tried the online fixes and the program installed but will not run even in compatibility mode.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #160
Red Knave
dGnr8

I'm not surprised that no one has mentioned using a virtual machine, it's pretty techy stuff, but it may be your only option.
If you have an installation CD or an iso file of an older Windows version, say like Win95, you could use a VM like VirtualBox to install and run that and then hopefully install and run your program.
There is a lifehacker post here that gives a good overview of how to go about this. I'm sure there are other online references too.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #161
coacht

Thanks Red

Very interesting. I will need to look closer at this and probably have someone help me since I’m not very techy

Coacht
Old 12-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #162
Ted Craven

Coach, maybe also make this request on PaceandCap. I know several discussions have been had on this topic there, and likely a few will rise to the ocassion with their experiences (I think maybe Bill V?) I've not done this myself.

BTW, Randy Kovach (aka The Programmer at P&C) has told me several times he is not into programming racing stuff any longer, and doesn't even posses older source code for the stuff he wrote for various folks back in the day. But you could always PM him and ask (and say hi).

However, it's true, with a virtual OS environment and an older copy of Windows capable of 16 bit, you can get that old Windows stuff running if it's not copy protected.

Ted

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #163
coacht

Thanks Ted,

I’m still out of town visiting grandkids. When I get home I’m going to first see
if my old XP will successfully download the program. If so, then hopefully I can find my old disc and then try the virtual .

I will take your suggestion and reach out to Bill V and Randy as well. I’m a member on your site.

My son tried to install it on my 64 bit and the error said it was 32 bit.

Gene
Old 01-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #164
Hanger

So people are paying for anywhere from 1-3 programs monthly.

Doesn’t include if they use workouts or sheets or anything to supplement it. Pretty big nut every month before the races even start. I’ve been using HTR. Been debating HSH or Valuecapper but hard to find realistic comparisons. People seem to either like one or the other strongly and biased.

Big leap of faith with the costs of the two to try it. If I had seen the sale most of you took advantage of perhaps I would have tried it by now. Maybe there will be another sale in 2020 soon, maybe I missed my chance.

Last edited by Hanger; 01-09-2020 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #165
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

I've only seen a sale for HSH! never seen any sale for ValueCapper.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply