Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 02-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #16
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
My brother sells on Amazon. He just lists his books, Amazon notifies him of a sale, and he sends the book out himself. Amazon bills the customer, takes its cut, and gives him the rest. They never see the book.

As I remember, Pandy sells his books there the same way.
How much is Amazon's cut?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:28 PM   #17
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I don't remember. I know they have changed the program a number of times, both to increase their take and to weed out the little guys that were selling crappy books for a couple of bucks. And I neglected to mention in my previous post that you can keep the books you are selling and send them out yourself, or send them to Amazon and have them do the fulfillment. The first method is better if you are selling a few books, the second if you are publishing and sell multiple copies.

Here is one source about fees, I don't know how accurate it is.

https://fitsmallbusiness.com/amazon-seller-fees/

This is a major source of revenue for Amazon, with very little cost to them, especially if the seller fulfills the orders. Amazon's revenue from Amazon Marketplace, i.e., third-party sellers, is estimated to be a lot greater than from its own sales.

https://retail.emarketer.com/article...d4000b2414099d
Old 02-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #18
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
In order to list new products, you have to pay a $39.99 monthly subscription charge, and Amazon takes about 20% commission on each sale.

For me, putting my books on Amazon is worth it. First of all, if you wrote a book and it isn't sold on Amazon, it looks like bad because Amazon is the biggest bookstore in the world and every book should be listed there.

Secondly, there aren't many good options. I used to do direct mailings but that's very expensive and you lose far more than 20%. I also sell the books on my website, which, of course, is better for me because I don't have to pay the commission. But, by advertising on Amazon I'm not just selling to the same customers, I'm getting new customers, and a high percentage of them will purchase every book and computer handicapping program I come out with and usually buy the rest directly from me. So Amazon is extending my customer base. It's a powerful medium. People act like there are no horseplayers left, but through Amazon, I've found out that there are a lot more than people think.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #19
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
I mentioned this thread and the other one re the Chat With podcast to Dr Ziemba. He asked that I convey his response to pandy's comment bolded above.

Ted
As I read more of his book, it's obvious that he doesn't just bet on favorites, and he spreads in exotics with different odds ranges. He recommends hedging with more money on the lower odds combos.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #20
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
People act like there are no horseplayers left
Those people have never tried to find a parking place at a horse track on a Saturday afternoon.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #21
Ted Craven

If anyone is interested in Dr Ziemba's book, Exotic Betting at the Racetrack, we have several copies at our PaceandCap/Sartin group tables in the Four Star Dave restaurant at Saratoga this weekend today through Sunday.

$25 and you can also get it autographed by Dr Z who is spending most of the weekend with us.

Ted

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: