Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 02-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
highnote

Exotic Betting at the Racetrack

Dr. Z has just released a new book through World Scientific publishing -- "Exotic Betting at the Racetrack".

PM me if you're interested in buying a copy from me. You can buy it on amazon in book form or kindle.

Last edited by highnote; 02-19-2019 at 02:41 PM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
thaskalos

By selling your own copy, are you implying that the book is not worth keeping?
Old 02-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
By selling your own copy, are you implying that the book is not worth keeping?
No. I have several copies I offered to sell for Dr. Z, but you can buy it on amazon and get free shipping if you have prime. Or buy the kindle version.

Or you can buy it from me if you don't want to give a billionaire any more money.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
No. I have several copies I offered to sell for Dr. Z, but you can buy it on amazon and get free shipping if you have prime. Or buy the kindle version.

Or you can buy it from me if you don't want to give a billionaire any more money.
He mentioned in a podcast that he's on a team that's starting up. I wonder if it's working out for him...

Link:
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2019, 12:25 AM   #5
highnote

Judging from Ziemba's publications -- he has consulted with Benter and other betting groups; is an expert in the mathematics of gambling, and has his hands in a lot of different areas -- Turkish flat weave rugs, financial trading using anomalies, investment consulting, hedge fund owner, horse race owner, financial and gambling author, academic publisher.

Knowing him and his friendship Harry Markowitz, who won the Nobel Prize for his work on portfolio diversification, Ziemba probably works with more than one betting team in order to be diversified.

By the way, the interview with Ed Thorp on "Chat With Traders" is also very good.

I wish the show host would also interview Bill Benter.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
pandy

It's nice to see that someone besides me still writes books on handicapping. I just ordered the kindle version. Ziemba is an interesting guy.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
pandy

I've been reading his new book. His ideas are pretty much the exact opposite of mine, but some of it is interesting.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #8
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
I've been reading his new book. His ideas are pretty much the exact opposite of mine, but some of it is interesting.
Just curious -- how are his ideas the exact opposite of yours? That's a good thing, though, in the pari-mutuel market.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
pandy

He thinks the edge is in betting favorites. I feel there's way more on an edge with longshots. He's a numbers guy, so am I, but I put way more emphasis on performance type figures than stats. His preference for favorites comes from the simple fact that favorites have a higher ROI than longshots. But, I think that's a moot point because the stats on based on betting every horse in each odds range. Naturally, if you bet on every horse that goes off at 15-1, you'll lose more than if you bet every horse that goes off at even money. But you're not going to do that, you're only going to bet the 15-1 shots that actually have a pretty good chance of winning and should be lower odds.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #10
highnote

I can see your point.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
Ted Craven

Here is a Table of Contents from the pre-release version Dr Z provided me for proofing and review last Summer:

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...86&postcount=5

Ted

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2019, 08:01 AM   #12
pandy

I was reading his exotic play chapters yesterday. Interesting that he uses public handicapper selections from a few different sources and makes up his own consensus while developing his plays.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #13
Ted Craven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
He thinks the edge is in betting favorites. I feel there's way more on an edge with longshots. He's a numbers guy, so am I, but I put way more emphasis on performance type figures than stats. His preference for favorites comes from the simple fact that favorites have a higher ROI than longshots. But, I think that's a moot point because the stats on based on betting every horse in each odds range. Naturally, if you bet on every horse that goes off at 15-1, you'll lose more than if you bet every horse that goes off at even money. But you're not going to do that, you're only going to bet the 15-1 shots that actually have a pretty good chance of winning and should be lower odds.
I mentioned this thread and the other one re the Chat With podcast to Dr Ziemba. He asked that I convey his response to pandy's comment bolded above.

Quote:
It’s not that I necessarily bet favorites, but the idea is to bet on horses that have an edge. That can be a favorite or a longer priced horse.

Example: today (2/23) I bet Santa Anita, in the big race (Race 8) I won by betting a 4-5 super horse first in an exacta with 3 other horses. The 54-1 came second, so a good payoff.

I was following Super Screener which is a pretty good handicapping service. I do follow a bunch of these as well as the prices.
Ted

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
davew

In the past, he thought the edge is in betting overlays

I have bought some books from Amazon that were obviously printed on demand .. I have always wondered if Bezos et al was just stealing them and giving nothing to the publisher.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #15
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post

I have bought some books from Amazon that were obviously printed on demand .. I have always wondered if Bezos et al was just stealing them and giving nothing to the publisher.
My brother sells on Amazon. He just lists his books, Amazon notifies him of a sale, and he sends the book out himself. Amazon bills the customer, takes its cut, and gives him the rest. They never see the book.

As I remember, Pandy sells his books there the same way.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: