Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

View Poll Results: Who Offers the Best PPs
Equibase 70 9.07%
Brisnet 443 57.38%
DRF 259 33.55%
Voters: 772. This poll is closed

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #61
BIG49010

I was wondering if Trainer, Jockey, and Owner names are formated the same for all these?

I would like to try the DRF product, but hesitate because names could be completly different from the bris files. Bris used to have trouble with names, but they have been very consistant for the past 8 years or so.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #62
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I don't get why they can't use a number for each trainer and jockey....then they could spell the names anyway they wanted to. Rocket science?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #63
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Sure...DRF has data files that can be used for databasing, computer analysis, and whatever else it was you mentioned. You export them via Formulator software.
That's if you can find the formulator software. Even after you told me, I still can't. Very user unfriendly in that regard. I see they are trying to get away from formulator software to formulator web which is what I am accustomed to from their free pp "Race of the day" At this point their formulator web does not have export capability which is why I said they don't have it. So where is their formulator software link or do you have to subscribe just to get it?
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #64
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

Right here;
http://www1.drf.com/formulator/formulator_ad2.html
KingChas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #65
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
That's if you can find the formulator software. Even after you told me, I still can't. Very user unfriendly in that regard. I see they are trying to get away from formulator software to formulator web which is what I am accustomed to from their free pp "Race of the day" At this point their formulator web does not have export capability which is why I said they don't have it. So where is their formulator software link or do you have to subscribe just to get it?
I'm not DRF customer service. You said they didn't have something that they actually do. I know, I've used it for years along with BRIS. Both have good points and bad points.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #66
thelyingthief

I use drf formulator.

I strongly, strongly dislike that DRF does not offer past performances of meets previous. Every other supplier of pp's offers batch sales. As my style is heavily dependent upon models, I am forced to curtail my betting when I attack a new track; I simply cannot function without understanding my opposition, what he does and how he does it.

To qualify the word 'opposition', I disregard handicappers almost completely: I tend to think it is the owners and their connections who are taking down the bulk of wagered money.

(say, anybody want to sell me three years of DRF files for Tampa?)

tlt-

Last edited by thelyingthief; 06-06-2011 at 07:28 AM.
thelyingthief is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #67
pondman

I don't use speed ratings...

As long as I can see 3-4 calls, how the horse finishes, and the conditions of the race, it doesn't matter, except my habit has been drf.

However, xpressbet began reimbursing customers for equibase which I've used more this year. If I could get it sooner (a couple days in advance) for free I'd switch to equibase.
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #68
pondman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelyingthief
(say, anybody want to sell me three years of DRF files for Tampa?)

tlt-

Be carefull with this. I've been warned in the past by drf about copy rights!
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #69
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondman
Be carefull with this. I've been warned in the past by drf about copy rights!
Actually, that is probably legal provided the seller didn't keep a copy for himself although the buyer may have problems opening them on another machine.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #70
takeout

Past meets

I don’t see why DRF would worry about something they don’t even sell.
takeout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #71
BIG49010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Actually, that is probably legal provided the seller didn't keep a copy for himself although the buyer may have problems opening them on another machine.
It would be interesting to find out if you can sell bris, drf or equibase files once you finish with them. I store them on my hard disk, and would gladly let them go once I finish with them for a fraction of what I have paid for them.

I am sure others have files also, and would be interested in exploring other tracks, but do not want to pay full price for them, or as someone said "the files are not available".

Perhaps they could be exchanged somehow?

Last edited by BIG49010; 06-06-2011 at 05:09 PM.
BIG49010 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #72
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010
It would be interesting to find out if you can sell bris, drf or equibase files once you finish with them. I store them on my hard disk, and would gladly let them go once I finish with them for a fraction of what I have paid for them.

I am sure others have files also, and would be interested in exploring other tracks, but do not want to pay full price for them, or as someone said "the files are not available".

Perhaps they could be exchanged somehow?
Only Formulator has the precaution built in, not BRIS or Equibase, at least that I am aware of anyway.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #73
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeout
I don’t see why DRF would worry about something they don’t even sell.
Since all the basic data comes from Equibase and can be bought from other providers, they probably have a clause in the contract with DRF.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #74
Uncle Salty
SoCal Enthusiast

I've used the BRIS .pdfs before and they got a lot of good information in them, but I started off using the DRF and that's what I'm used to and comfortable with. I like spreading the big newspaper out and digging in...

It's little pricey at the the track, but at the racebooks in Vegas you can get them for one or two bucks. A lot of places used to give them out free, but I think that's a thing of the past...
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #75
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What is the deal with Formulator files?
You can't move them to another computer?
I forgot, it's been so long.

I have moved them to a different drive, but what if I buy a machine?
I'm out of luck?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: