Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #16
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhorsedrew View Post
Is there any kind of website or database where I can get in contact with these trainers or what? Thanks everyone for your feedback.
call the racing office at whatever track that trainer is stabled at. Or if he just runs horses there they still should have his phone #.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #17
green80

[QUOTE=onefast99;2265100]As I stated he is a good guy, would I use him, no. But in this business you get what you pay for. Seeing it is this potential owners first go round he may be better suited with a mid level trainer. That is a 12% win trainer. Tim is under that as he races a lot of very cheap claimers. The better trainers(win % wise)are based in Florida or NY for the winter and those guys WP are the 20% range and going to ct seem to hang out at Parx and Penn. His best bet wait until MP opens and go with a solid trainer.[/QUOTE

These 20% trainers are 20% trainers because of the stock they have. You give these same horses to one of those 12% trainers and they then are 20%.
trainers. Just as a top jockey gets the best mounts, a top trainer gets the best horses at the track (usually) and therefore the good win %, and you are going to pay for it. I wouldn't put a lot of weight on their win % without looking at other factors. Talk to several, find somebody you would like to work with and let your gut tell you from there.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #18
BrentT

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhorsedrew View Post
Is there any kind of website or database where I can get in contact with these trainers or what? Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Just call the Track and get connected to the stable gate, leave them a message and they should page the trainer for you.
BrentT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #19
onefast99

These 20% trainers are 20% trainers because of the stock they have. You give these same horses to one of those 12% trainers and they then are 20%.
trainers. Just as a top jockey gets the best mounts, a top trainer gets the best horses at the track (usually) and therefore the good win %, and you are going to pay for it. I wouldn't put a lot of weight on their win % without looking at other factors. Talk to several, find somebody you would like to work with and let your gut tell you from there.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Look at Kelly Breen, he has a lot less George Hall horses than he had before, he has a lot of lower level claimers and still maintains a nice win % at MP. If you think the trainer doesn't make a difference they do, a smart trainer places a 5k claimer in a 5k race(conditions apply)a dumb trainer places a 5k claimer in a race based on what the ownership desires and most likely has no shot to win at a level where the horse won't be competitive. Why do you think there are 4 trainers at every track that are miles ahead of the next group of trainers, it is because they know what they are doing with the stock they have. No different than any other profession!