Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 01-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
Teach

Gulfstream: Wednesday, January 17

With apologies to Edgar Allan Poe:

Once Upon A Morning Dreary;
I Awakened Weak and Weary.

The Snow Was Thick, My Eyes Were Bleary;
And To My Wife: “It’s ‘The Rainbow,’ Deary”.

She Replied, “What’s That Rap-Tap-Tapping?”
Just My Picks, No Time For Napping!

Oh, How I Wished For The “Hall ‘n Dale”;
Frankly, I’ve Been Looking Wan and Pale.

But If I Were…To Hit “The Rainbow Six”;
That Would Provide The Perfect Fix.

The Carryover is over 2M. I’ll be back later with my “Rainbow-6 selections. First post at GP: Noon; Rainbow-6: 2:35 pm.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
RaceWitch

Loved it Teach; good luck for today !
RaceWitch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Teach

Race Five:

SUPER WITCH. You gotta use her. You can’t leave her off your ticket. Yet, this filly’s had a case of second-itis. She catches the bouquet, but she never exchanges vows. That scares me. No lead-pipe cinch. In my opinion, you need to consider: “buying insurance”. Yet, this filly is dropping. Solid morning work. I’m impressed, yet ambivalent. Tyler Gaffalione reprises. Yet, this filly's trainer, Chad Summers, has saddled just one winner in 30 turf tries. Not very reassuring. If you ask my opinion, “You can’t put all your eggs in one basket!” If you are looking elsewhere, a few others horses catch my eye. I don’t know what to make of RUN IN THE SHADOWS. In her only try on the main at Laurel she was steadied. This Aussie-bred (on top) filly has turf pedigree. If she takes to the lawn, she can surprise. Trainer Mike Trombetta has a knack of conditioning a winner, esp. when you least expect it. Edgard Zayas is in the irons. Watch the board! TRAPPED AT SEA is cutting back in distance. That may be the prescription…I like Luis Saez on the grass. This filly can’t be ignored. She’s hit the tote in all three of her turf tries. UNCLE JUNIOR (“Uncle Jun”) is another distaffer that cannot be ignored. The rider-switch to Irad is huuuuuuuge. Must be respected. Significant drop from maiden-specials to “selling” ranks. Jason Servis is a top-notch trainer. Finally (I know you can’t bet them all; yet you don’t want to get “knocked out” in the first round), I’d consider HEIDI HO (the late-great Cab Calloway; he was a big racing fan). Yes, this filly is stepping up the claiming ladder. She appears, at least on paper, unlikely. Marginal turf pedigree. Yet…

Race Six:

CONQUEST SANDMAN is my top pick. I have a lot of respect for this gelding’s Irish-born (County Waterford) trainer, Eddie Kenneally. Kenneally does extremely well with horses making their first start off a claim. My only concern is that this gelding hasn’t raced in nearly four months (“The Spa” in late August). Yet, there is a significant drop (the DRF calls it “suspicious). A recent morning work at Palm Meadows, 5-panels in 1:00 and change, bolsters my confidence level. So too does the services of one of the best jockeys in the country, Jose Ortiz. Others to consider: REFLECTED STAR. Anytime the Hall-of-Famer, Johnny V., is aboard you need to take notice. Velazquez has impeccable timing on the racetrack. The Hall-of-Famer, Bill Mott, trains. ADONIS CREED (I can hear the theme from “Rocky,” now) should be considered. He’s cutting back. I believe that makes him more dangerous. This gelding also has the services of Luis Saez. As previously cited, I like the Panamaniam-born jock on the cesped. If you’re looking for one more: ZEFIRO. He fits. He was caught tight inside in his last. A better trip might put him in the winner’s circle.

Race Seven:

D’CRAZINESS has been the model of consistency (he threw in a “clunker” in his last) on the lawn. This Florida-bred is now dropping into OC company. That just might be the ticket for a trip to the winner’s circle. Emisael Jaramillio reprises the ride. BINGO KITTEN with Tyler Gaffalione for trainer Mike Maker, may well go off the chalk, and I might add, deservedly so. The aged chestnut horse has hit the board in the vast majority of his turf tries. I wouldn’t call him a “bet-the-ranch” type; yet, he must be highly regarded in this company. ABRAHAM was claimed out of his last by trainer Brendan Walsh for the Premier Stables Unlimited. This 8-year old gelding has made just one start on the lawn (he came up empty). Yet, he does have a degree of turf pedigree.In this field against these horses; well, he’s capable of surprising.

Race Eight:

QUALITY TIME is my pick in this turf sprint. Why? This bay mare’s jock, Tyler Gaffalione (“T.G.”) is a solid chauffeur. Speaking of chauffeurs, this mare’s conditioner is Monsieur Christophe Clement. He’s a solid trainer. Yet, one note of caution, this mare has been the beaten favorite in her last two. Clement does well with beaten favorites. Is the third time a charm for this lightly-raced Irish-bred. SOUND DEFENCE merits consideration. The broodmare, Clayoquot Sound, has had 5 winners from 5 starters and 2 turf winners. Ralph Ziadie trains this granddaughter of Unbridled’s Song. Edgard Zayas is in the irons. This mare has hit the tote in nine out of 13 lifetime turf tries. She has nine board-hits out of 11 tries at today’s distance. Finally, ANAIS just missed at this distance in her last. This Malibu Moon-bred came from far back in that one. She can’t be ignored off that first lifetime turf try. Christophe Clement is the conditioner; Nik Juarez has his feet in the stirrups.

Race Nine:

SEPTIMUS SEVERUS won at first asking up at “The Big A” almost two months ago. She does step up to face winners. Yet, if this Roman Ruler-bred colt can reprise that effort (he stretches out an additional panel – that should help), he’ll find himself in the GP winner’s circle. T.G. has the call for trainer George Weaver. If you’re looking elsewhere, you must consider IMPACT PLAYER with Johnny V. for trainer Todd Pletcher. My only gnawing concern is the additional furlong off his last maiden-breaking win. A recent, sharp 4-panels morning work, albeit on a muddy track, bolsters confidence. SO SUBLIME got the distance in his only start, a maiden-breaking win. I just can’t leave this chestnut gelding out of the mix. David Fawkes trains; Luis Saez reprises the ride. AFFLUENTIAL is an admitted longshot try. Yet he’s hit the tote in all three of his starts. If this Awesome Again-bred races back to his last win…?

Race Ten:

In this MC turf route, I’m looking at three horses. RATE OF RETURN finished 3rd at 7 and ½ panels in her only start. This Giant’s Causeway-bred filly is well-suited for the grass. This 3-year old picks up the riding services of Tyler Gaffalione; Mark Casse trains. INSIDE TRIP came from “out of the clouds” against weaker in her last; she finished a fast-closing 2nd at 35-1 (don’t expect those odds). Nik Juarez rides for Saffie Joseph, Jr. Finally, BERNATINA stretches out after finished 5th in her only turf try, a 5-furlongs sprint. It will remain to be seen if this filly can handle the added panels of today’s one-mile race. Yet, I have to respect the riding skills of the recent Hall-of-Famer, the Maracaibo, Venezuela native, Javier Castellano. Castellano is one of the best in the country at both rating a horse and making the winning move. Mark Casse trains.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 01-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
lamboguy

i am going to put my 2 cents in this.

in race 5 #2 GIOVANNA'S MAGIC is a really nice fast filly. trouble with her is that when i saw her she was having her problems at the gate, that is probably the reason why it took them this long to get her in the race. drawing in towards the inside is not doing her to many favors either. i am going to play and play her back a second time after this.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
Teach

Lamboguy -

Givonna’s Magic would be a complete surprise. I’m leery of 1st time starters. I’m not enamored with this filly’s starting post. Years ago, when I frequented Suffolk Downs, the Monarch Stables was a top-notch outfit. I don’t know too much about filly’s trainer, Ron Spatz, save for the fact that he’s based down in Florida. Spatz’s record, according to DRF statistics, leaves something to be desired with regard to first-time starters and horses entered in turf races. Unless there’s something there that most people don’t know about, e.g. training, conditioning, etc., I can’t make much of a case for her. I will say this: If she pops, she’ll immediately take a lot of bettors out of the Rainbow-6.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 01-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #6
jay68802

After looking at this race in what seems like every way possible, I have come to the conclusion that 1 of the 7 horses will win it. Good Luck!
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
Teach

Lamboguy -

#2 was closing fastest of all. She may have needed this race. I would look for her to take a step forward next time. She just ran out of real estate. May have been a bit green. I think she'd benefit from stretching out a furlong or two.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 01-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i am going to put my 2 cents in this.

in race 5 #2 GIOVANNA'S MAGIC is a really nice fast filly. trouble with her is that when i saw her she was having her problems at the gate, that is probably the reason why it took them this long to get her in the race. drawing in towards the inside is not doing her to many favors either. i am going to play and play her back a second time after this.
the filly was good in the gate but had no idea what she was doing on the track.

i doubt Bertolino will run at this level next time, but if he does i am betting.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
Teach

Race Six may winnow down the live Pick 6 ticket-holders. No clear-cut favorite. I'm quite interested to see how this race plays out. My picks are: , , , . If you're alive, good luck!

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: