Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
v j stauffer

EARLY PRESENT IN MY STOCKING

GOLDEN GATE
Today's Racing Digest

THE OSTERMAN FILES
GOING OVER THE EDGE
He’s taken us to the precipice often in the past but, this time Vic Stauffer went right over the edge.
His call for Thursday’s Hollywood Prevue Stakes was the last straw, not to mention a flagrant violation of the neutrality code
and professional ethics that announcers from coast to coast have lived up to for nearly a century. It went something like, “and Galex
has pulled up. It doesn’t look good for Galex. Darn it”. Darn it? Who is Stauffer, Beaver Cleaver? It probably could have been
worse. He could have said “Rats”, ala Charlie Brown.
Whatever perpetuated Stauffer’s reaction (genuine concern for the horse, sympathy for the connections, sorrow for those who
took 3/1 on Galex or just downright pandering), it was truly a travesty in the annals of announcing. There is no need for commentary
of this sort during the call of a race. Leave the diagnosis of the injury to the professionals, leave potential personal feelings to the
individual. Stay out of it, please. I have never heard any other race caller feel the need to add their two cents to an already bad
situation. However, if someone opts to thrust their opinion on an unsuspecting public, you’d think they could come up with something
better than “darn it”.
Personally, after the Prevue, I took an oath to never listen to another call from the guy. When I’m in control, the TV is now
on “mute” for every Hollywood Park event and it’s turned out to be a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. When races are not
interrupted by someone trying to be “the show”, serious handicappers are able to follow the action as it unfolds rather than rely on
tedious tidbits from a seemingly rabid announcer.
Calling races should be an exercise in journalism where the “who, what, where and when” is reported and not embellished.
Just call the race accurately, that’s all that is being asked.
Some, however, have the skills to do more. Take Michael Wrona, for instance. This fella is an absolute joy and anyone
wishing to compare Wrona with Stauffer only needs to look away from a race and just listen to the call. With Wrona, you know
where every horse is at every point and he rarely, if ever, loses his place or his pace. Stauffer, on the other hand, is always rumbling,
stumbling and bumbling trying to keep up. At crunch time, Wrona doesn’t raise his voice but simply increases the cadence as the
horses near the wire. Stauffer always sounds like he’s risking an aneurysm in the final furlong as his voice soars mega-decibels.
Wrona calls the tight photos with incredible accuracy and rarely with disclaimers. When he doesn’t take a stand (“oh, they’re out of
stride on the line”), there’s a good chance it’s a dead-heat. Stauffer tries to call all the tight ones but there’s always an “I think” or
something else to cover his behind. Still, he blows some outright. And, of course, Wrona is clever and, sometimes, laugh-out-loud
funny. You never hear the same call from him twice, it’s always fresh and suitable for the horses involved. Stauffer attempts to hide
his lack of originality by just screaming at the top of his lungs, no matter what the situation.
Wrona is always reporting while adding informative details about a horse’s history and style or regarding the connections
recent success, or lack thereof. Stauffer generally refers to riders by their first names or nicknames (“traveling well for Chantal”, or
“Go Go” has so-and-so well placed). Wrona uses the last name and, as any journalism school graduate knows, that’s the way you’re
supposed to do it. It’s as if Stauffer wants everybody to know he’s on a first name basis with the riders, even if “the Dominican
Dandy” did fire him as his agent a few years ago. It’s as if he wants everybody to understand he’s the smartest guy in the room just
because he’s the one bellowing into a microphone. The only knock ever heard on Wrona is his insistence on calling the finish of
every horse in the field which tends to tick off some not interested in being told that their best bet of the day straggled home sixth.
However, that’s a “flaw”, if it is one, we can all live with.
No, there is no comparison between Wrona and Stauffer. One is great and the other is, well, pretty-darn bad.
California’s other three announcers all tower over Stauffer as well. Trevor Denman may have lost a few steps over the
decades but he remains a comfort to us all, even if his catch phrases are beginning to wear a little thin. Frank Mirahmadi, the new
voice of Oaklawn Park, is relegated to county-fair duties during the summer locally but he’s accurate, understands his craft and can be
quite entertaining while picking his spots for the occasional impression. Eddie Burgart, of course, is an icon at Los Alamitos. Nobody
calls a Quarterhorse race like he does.
To be fair, there are some folks out there who actually like Stauffer’s erratic, over-the-top style. I just don’t happen to be
one of them. Darn it!!!!!!
Editor’s note: My now 19-year-old was watching tapes of the week’s races from Hollywood Park with me years ago. He must have
been about
Old 12-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
Greyfox

I enjoy your race calls Vic. Keep up the good work.

Greyfox
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

And people think PaceAdvantage.com is tough on announcers...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
Cardus
Veteran

"Osterman" provides facts to support his conclusion that Vic is a bad announcer. There is no hint of a personal animus in his report.

I agree with "Osterman".

And it is telling that Vic feels the need to post to everyone, "Hey, someone thinks I am awful. Here it is!"

What kind of person does this?
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
rrpic6

Instead of "darn it" why not blurt out "WTF, that pig Galex broke down and I had big money on him, Gawddammit" This is gambling and its not like there are any patrons live at Hollywood Park, just a few watching on TVG or OTB's. Man up and let it fly!

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
"Osterman" provides facts to support his conclusion that Vic is a bad announcer. There is no hint of a personal animus in his report.

I agree with "Osterman".

And it is telling that Vic feels the need to post to everyone, "Hey, someone thinks I am awful. Here it is!"

kind of person doesWhat this?
i know that i am nothing but a loose racehorse, so what i say takes a back seat to everyone else here.

but to answer your question, its only a person that tries to make a positive out of a negetive that is brave enough to confront an article like this head on.

merry christmas to all including the people here that always look at the glass as being half empty
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
nijinski

Sounds to me like Osterman had a bad day at the the races . Seriously though he was a bit brutal. Despite his opinion try and keep your head up and turn the page .
I don't fault you for a blurt out at the sight of a horse in distress , I think
thats human. Keep on calling , you can't please everyones tastes and you don't have to .

Last edited by nijinski; 12-06-2011 at 06:41 AM.
nijinski is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #8
statepierback

I find Vic's call entertaining and Rona's calls clever but boring.JMTCW
statepierback is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
thaskalos

The article is a little "out of balance", IMO.

How do you go, from a semi-funny Beaver Cleaver reference, to taking an oath never to listen to another Stauffer race call again...all in a matter of two short paragraphs?

Like Osterman, I too am partial to the announcers who keep an even tone of voice throughout their race call, and only increase their cadence when the action intensifies...but I cannot agree that Stauffer is an assault to the ear.

At least he doesn't pause awkwardly while searching for words...like some other highly-touted east coast announcer I regularly listen to...

Last edited by thaskalos; 12-06-2011 at 07:52 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
andymays
Veteran

He shouldn't have done the call that way and it was a mistake. Having said that it is absurd to say that he is a terrible race caller. He's better than many others. I like Wrona the best.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
Canarsie

If this really bothered Vic he wouldn't have posted it he has "thick" skin. It's a trait only the "GREAT" ones have. I mean what I'm writing, there is no need to suck up to anyone. At least to me he puts Denman to "shame" but that's one mans opinion. After all I like Grunder and the members in that group are in a small minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus

I agree with "Osterman".

What kind of person does this?

Cardus is entitled to his opinion that's what the foundation of our great country was built on. I strongly disagree with him especially with the "posting" part. It's called a pre-emptive strike by bringing it to the forefront himself. What's he supposed to do let someone who doesn't like him cut and paste parts of the article? When I had words with someone here a "disclaimer" was issued I wanted to be fair and also bring it up before him.

Osterman states this.

To be fair, there are some folks out there who actually like Stauffer’s erratic, over-the-top style. I just don’t happen to be
one of them. Darn it!!!!!!

There is no need for a poll but at worst in my dumb as* opinion Vic would garner at bare minimum two thirds of the approval vote. It would probably go way over 80% his name recognition in the industry is high.

Ever think that Osterman needed more web hits for his body of work and that's why he wrote it? There is no doubt in my mind there's a 99% chance it's the most read piece he has written this year.

Let me close with this that if Vic was really that bad how come there aren't any threads about his race calling before this. If I missed one or two my bad I'll apologize in advance. If there are only a few negative comments it really doesn't count look how many members are registered here. Once again lots came out anti Grunder and Battaglia not just a few.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
Uncle Salty
SoCal Enthusiast

Vic's calls at Hollywood have never struck me as "erratic" or "over the top." Compared to some of the other tracks' announcers I hear, he is very calm and collected. I personally have never heard him "scream at the top of his lungs" but I don't play as often as many of ya'll do...

I did like the one call a couple of years ago, when Talamo was on a horse that stumbled a bit around mid-stretch, lost a couple of lengths, regained his footing and pulled ahead to win. That was a good one. I think it was the 2009 spring meet. There was a little emotion in the voice, but a situation like that warrants it.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
fiveouttasix

I for one enjoy Vic's calls...I think the comment "darn it" was from the heart..there has been a rash of breakdowns at Hollywood the last week or so...I was feeling the same way
fiveouttasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #14
FenceBored

Vic, have you been using Mr. Osterman's coffee cup to transport post race samples again?
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
Knowclew

I'll take "Over the top reactions" for $2000 Alex.

While Vic may have spent a little too much time analyzing this breakdown midrace, this guy must have really needed something to write about.
Vic's passion for the horse came out there....human error, I think.

Vic is a solid race caller...just because you like your local guy better, bashing him was out of line.

Osterman asks for a race caller to be a journalist..."just call the race accurately"..then applauds Wrona for being "laugh out loud" funny. Can't have it both ways if you are going to write something like this.

I think race callers are part of the product, the entertainment. They must be informative as well. Vic's humor may be hard to spot at times, as it is rather subtle, but it is there.

Keep it up Vic...can't please all of them all of the time. I think you please most of them.
Knowclew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply